Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Write a check!

When I think back to when I got married one of the best things (besides getting married to the man I love) about the wedding was opening all the gifts that we received from our family and friends. I remember the stack of envelopes that we got that were either filled with cash, gifts cards, or checks. Those gifts helped us buy so many different things in order to start our life together.

This past weekend my friends brother-in-law got married. The day was wonderful, and many friends and family attended the reception. It wasn't until the end of the evening that they were aware of what had happened. Some time during the reception...someone came in and took the basket that held ALL of those lovely envelopes! The basket was found discarded in a woman's yard. All the envelopes had been opened. They had removed all the cash and gift cards...but left the checks. Luckily one of the checks had a home number on it, and the woman contacted that person. After a few more phone calls they were able to get what was left over to the bride and groom's family.

As my friend was telling me the story...it made me so sad for the happy couple! What has this world come to!? I can't believe that someone stooped so low as to going to a reception and stealing the 'money basket'. One thing is for sure...the next time I don't have time to get a gift, I won't get a gift card or give cash! WRITE A CHECK!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

21 people know I LOVE comments!:

Kim said...

That totally sucks! I feel bad and can't believe someone could actually do that.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

that is the saddest thing i have ever heard. do they know the person who took it???

Dizzy Kate said...

That is crazy and sad.

Carl and Starla said...

You know it makes you wonder what kind a childhood a person had to make them go and steal from innocent peeps who are celebrating their marriage! So strange!

raising4boys said...

That is so terrible. Can't trust anyone these days. I always thought cash was better because they didn't have to worry about cashing it...thanks for the advice.

Tonya said...

That is ridiculous. I feel the same way you did about getting that money and we got a lot having 450 at our wedding. Horrible world.

tammy said...

Oh that makes me feel so bad for them! Sadly, I've heard it happening more and more. Just what you want to have at your wedding -- a security guard.

Frolicking Night Owl said...

our cash & checks helped us pay for my new piano. which I later earned tons of money with. but those were some of the BEST gifts.

Jamie said...

WHY!!!!! Man that STINKS!!! I was so grateful for the extra we got it sure helps!!

LadyCiani said...

When I was getting married, I came across something in a wedding magazine that stuck with me:

"Put your gift card basket and gift table somewhere across the room and away from all the doors. This makes it harder for a stranger to steal."

Britni said...

We actually had someone manning the gift table our entire wedding just in case... oh and the check idea is okay, but I think as a newlywed I remember loving the gift cards and cash especially because you could just go use it without having to deposit it into your bank account and waiting a week for the money to transfer. Either is great, but we loved cash and gift cards!

Amanda said...

What has this world come to? Such a sad story for the B&G... I hope they were able to enjoy the rest of their day!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I can't believe someone would stoop to such a level?!? I hope they still enjoyed their special day. Luckily when we got married people handed us directly (or to my parents) cards with cash and checks.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

That's just low...I will remember that in the future!

Although maybe they should all just have a money tree..let's see one try to escape with that out the door, giggle giggle snort snort...

Jen said...

How sad!! We used all our cash to pay for our honeymoon!

Kylie said...

That is the saddest thing ever!!!! Thanks for the advice!

Candice said...

I'm glad you left me a comment, I just asked Katie tonight for your blog address. Your blog is great! I feel like such an amateur compared to you! since you have my blog address now, you can add me to your infamous list! I'm sure in the future I'll be asking you for blogging advice and help! My blog needs all kinds of help! My problem is I don't have the time! I should be spending every spare moment doing homework, not blogging....but it's oh so fun!

Candice said...

Do Amy and Jeremy Olson have a blog?

Unknown said...

Oh man that is sad! I have never heard of such a thing...makes you think about who to invite to your wedding. Seriously...that sucks!

Eenigenburg said...

I have heard of this, as well as the bride's and attendants' purses being stolen from a dressing room in the church DURING the ceremony -- JUST AWFUL!!

Doctors in India said...

This is such a helpful reading material for me, I’ve learned a lot of new things. Thanks for the great post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails