Sunday, September 23, 2007

Up for Debate...

As you all know I am pregnant. This is my third child, and I already have a boy & a girl. There is a part of me that doesn’t want to find out what we are having this time. There was no way that I could do that with Caden or Sydney because I wanted to be prepared for them. With this pregnancy it is different because I have the majority of the things that I will need for either sex.

I have mixed feelings about the whole matter. Part of me thinks it would be nice to find out because then we can prepare the kids for a “brother” or a “sister.” The other part thinks that it would be fun to keep it as a surprise, and wait till the baby is born.

Shawn wants to find out, and thinks I am silly for thinking otherwise. The ultrasound is scheduled for October 18th. I know the decision will ultimately be between me and Shawn, but I was wondering what your opinion is on the matter.

Would you find out or would you keep it a surprise? Dish me your thoughts! I may even put up a poll for a vote.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

18 people know I LOVE comments!:

Crazymamaof6 said...

My opinion is after you have one of each, like you do, when you go to the ultrasound, say you wanna know so they look because otherwise they don;t bother, and IF they can't tell you go for the surprise. you tried and then you move on. they almost couldn't tell with my 5th and i though ok well a surprise would be ok too. and it wasn't a big deal. and i didn't feel like i had to push to have another ultrasound to find out. i like to shop ahead for a take home outfit, and make bows and bracelets for a girl. plus a blessing outfit. mine all have their own. I'm one of those people, if i didn't know I'd buy too much for a boy and a girl just in case and then have to return stuff, or waste the money. i need to know in advance. to prepare!

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

I have a friend who was trying to make the same decision. The family decided that everyone would know the secret but Mom. They have had lots of fun teasing her, and of course they have told lots of us. We have played with her so much, just yesterday I said oh I can't wait for the new little boy/oh I mean girl. Good luck with your decision. I didn't know what the sex was of either of mine. I know times have changed!

Tonya said...

I remember feeling the same way when we were pregnant with our 3rd. We found out because our daughter wanted a girl desperately and our son wanted a boy so I really wanted to prepare our daughter if we were having another boy which we did. She was able to bond with him while still in my tummy and she was ready to have another brother. I must admit that I wanted a girl too so it helped me deal with having another boy before he was born as well. I'm sure you guys will make the right decision for your family!

Marquita said...

We thought about not finding out with our 4th, because we have 2 boys and then a girl, but we haven't decided what to do yet.

Marquita said...

Ok, I just re-read what I wrote and it sounded like I'm already pregant with my 4th. I'm not. My daugther is only 10 months old. Ü

Dizzy Kate said...

I would want it to be a surprise. In the end though, knowing me, I would probably change my mind during the ultra sound. :)

Carina said...

I would be in the same quandry if I were you. I think I wouldn't be able to make it the whole time not knowing. I'm terrible at secrets.

Rosie said...

I LOVED NOT knowing! It was so much fun to anticipate the surprise! I think that NOT knowing was also exciting for my other children. They were so excited the entire pregnancy. There are very few real surprises in life that are wonderful. This was one of the best surprises ever! I was surprised 3 out of 4 times!

Anonymous said...

I'm a control freak so I would HAVE to know. No doubt about it.

kemra said...

I didn't know you were pregnant! Congrats - that is so exciting! So, I have no idea what to tell you. I have been thinking abou that myself (No, I am NOT pregnant, but I have thought that it would be fun to keep it a surprise next time). But, I also like to prepare things ahead of time - you know, get the clothes washed and stuff - but you can always do that later too, plus the baby will probably sleep in your room for awhile, so you would have time to get the nursery done. I don't know. I don't know if I would have enough self control once I was in getting the ultrasound. Sorry I'm not much help!

I am happy for you though. Are you due in March - that is a great time to have a baby (both my kids were born in March). YOu avoid being huge in the HEAT, and RSV season is ending, so it's not too cold! Good luck with the decision!

Anonymous said...

hi crystal:
hope your pregnancy is going okay for you, too.

if i were you, i wouldn't want to know. that's how i voted in your cool poll.

for our girls, we didn't want to know the first time and then we did want to know for the second child.

i thought it was way more fun to just not know until the blessed little one popped out to say hello to the world.

hope you and that dude have a fun time deciding. cute idea to do a poll. blogs are sure neat like that.

take care mama and babe,
kathleen :)

Anonymous said...

ha, at first when i saw your post title, i thought it said "up for debbie" and i was thinking who is debbie ... is debbie what you will name your babe if it is a girl? just noticed the real spelling. i am tired.

don't remember if i told you i have a free fun giveaway at my blog (post on 22sat) if you are interested. check it out.

chow,
kathleen

The Earls said...

Congrats! My husband and I decided that once we have one of each we will be surprised. Right now we've got 2 boys, so we'll keep getting a sneak peak till a girl comes. Calling it a name while still in the tummy is the tough part. We just give nicknames to help tide us over. Good luck!

Tawni said...

Kay, I have thought the same thing. I said before we had kids that once we had one of each i'd kinda like to have it a surprise, but Brian won't go along w/me, he says he will find out and just not tell me. HELLO -if I know he knows than I will want to know. I could always just set up the ultrasound and not tell him.Ü Also, i've seen both ultrasound pics and i'm sure I could figure it out myself, if I really wanted to. I don't know, let me know what you guys decide.

Sherri said...

Hey there! We didn't find out on our 1st-a boy, and we did on our 2nd-a girl. I had predicted those 2 right, so with the 3rd we didn't find out and I was 99% sure it was a boy. When the Dr. said "It's a girl!" when she was born, the 1st thing I said was "No way!" We found out on our 4th-a girl-but I thought she was going to be a boy. And now we are expecting our 5th and I'm hoping for a boy, but with our luck it's another cute girl.

Amber said...

How funny one of my best friends goes to Dr. Huish and also has her ultrasound on the 18th. You guys are due really close. If you do find out, that would be fun if I got to know from you and my friend on the same day!! I've always had to find out. I can't not know stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

I think you should NOT find out. There are so few surprises in life as good as this. I remember growing up and never knowing if mom would have a girl or a boy. I think I was too young when Cathy came but the next 2 were boys and then you came and I was so happy to have a baby sister. I guess that is why I made you mine. :)

Rhiannon said...

I think you shouldn't find out and try to see if the baby feel it is a boy or a girl. IF I ever have another one I want to see if I can tell what it is going to be just by the way my body is feeling but I guess if it feels different from the first two. Then I would probably think I'm having an Alien.
Ha ha be surprised you can do it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails