Friday, September 7, 2007

What Were You Doing in High School?

My 10 year high school reunion is going to be coming up in October. I still am on the fence on whether or not to go. I really want to, but it is $83 PER PERSON! I would hate to pay for it and then find out that half my old friends didn't go because it was so dang expensive! Anyway it has really got me reminiscing on the past, and when I saw this meme on Crazy Mama's blog I thought it would be fun to fill out. So enjoy... and I would love if you wanted to play along too!

1. Who were your best friends? I had a lot of good friends, but Robbie & Julie were what I consider my “best” friends. Some other really good friends were Stephanie Petersen, James Hogle, Tawni Patterson, Larry Dunn, Becky Ostvig, and many others.

2. What sports did you play? I tried to do Cross Country my senior year with Tawni, but then she had to quit because she had bad knees. I should have stayed in, but dropped out because she did too…I know - stupid. Other than that...I suck at sports!

3. What kind of car did you drive? I didn’t drive a car to school because I only lived a few blocks away. But I would on occasion steal my mothers cool station wagon (I vow that I will never own a station wagon in my entire life!), or my Dad’s tine Dodge Colt that we called the “Cricket car” because it when it idled it hummed like a cricket. And I didn't own it, but James had a car that we called the P.O.S. but pronounced it like "THE POSS". We had alot of fun in that car...James was a crazy guy.

4. On a Friday nights what were you doing? Our weekends were usually spent hanging out at James, Robbie or Rick Raymond’s house. We liked playing SCUM a lot, watching movies, or watching "the guys" make fools of themselves.

5. Were you a party animal? I am a very social person, and I like to have fun…but I didn’t “PARTY”

6. Were you considered a flirt? I don’t know if I was considered a flirt. I think I was very friendly…maybe that is considered flirting.

7. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? I was in Orchestra all 3 years and choir until 2nd semester of my Senior year. I got sick of the crap that our choir director gave us, and didn’t feel like I wanted to hear how bad we “suck” or “know nothing about music” from someone who was gone most of the time, and had her student teacher do all the work. She actually was a good director, but really lost sight of what it was she was supposed to be doing. I missed all of my friends from Acappella, but I just couldn’t stay there anymore!

8. Were you a nerd? I don’t think I was a nerd, but I didn’t hang out with the “popular” people. I think that we were cool.

9. Did you get suspended/expelled? Nope

10. Can you still sing the fight song? I can remember the alma mater “Carry on” , but for some reason can’t remember the fight song….I know if someone started it…I could finish it.

11. Who was your favorite teacher? I would have to say Mr. Nichols. He was our orchestra teacher, and a good one at that. He took a sabbatical our Junior year, and I really missed him. It was nice to have him back our Senior year. He really is good at what he does. I think that he teaches at Dobson now.

I also liked Mr. Vaughn…I don’t even remember what I had him for, but he always had me laughing. Every day when we came in he would say “ I am in a foul mood today” …he also used to be a football player for the Detroit Lions, and they made a movie called the Paper Lion that I swear we watched atleast once a month. He also had the funniest stories to tell about a girlfriend that had “halitosis”…those were good times.

12. Where did you sit during lunch?
During our sophomore year we all hung out around the campus Taco Bell because none of us could really drive.

My junior year I ate lunch with Jules in the choir room, and then my Senior year I was already home before lunch because I only had A-3rd hour. I think I missed out on a lot because I didn’t have a full schedule my senior year.

13. Name the school full name? Mesa High School

14. School mascot? Jackrabbit

15. School Colors? Purple and Gold

16. Rival high school? Mainly Moutain “Pew” View, but also Westwood

17. Did you go to Prom? I went my Junior year with Russell Stradling and my senior year with my boyfriend Brodie (he went to Mountain View).

18. If you could go back and do it again, would you? I liked high school and the memories that I have from those times, but I do not want to go back to that drama filled life again.

19. What do you remember most about graduation? I remember that after we graduated I ran around and took pictures with my friends, but jetted out of there so I could get to Brodie’s graduation to surprise him. (Theirs had started an hour after ours) Then we all ended up going to Big surf, and then somewhere for a pancake breakfast.

20. Where did you go senior skip day? I honestly don’t remember….must have been real fun.

21. Favorite memory? It actually was during my sophmore year during a major rainstorm. A bunch of us ended up at the lot where a house was under construction by Rick and Stephen Browers house. We ended getting soaked and played in the mud.

22. Were you in any clubs? Not really

23. Where did you go most often for lunch? I didn’t really leave campus that much (I guess that I was a nerd)

24. Have you gained some weight since then? Hasn’t everyone! I wish I could say no, but I can’t.

25. Who was your Senior prom date? Brodie, my boyfriend at the time.

26. Are you planning on going to your 10-year reunion? I am thinking about it, but haven’t decided yet….I only have until the 20th to make a decision.

27. Who was your home room teacher? I think the last time I had home room was in Junior High

28. Who will re-post this after you? Those who want to.

29. Who was your high school sweetheart? Well….like I have said before. I was dating Brodie. We met in August right before our senior year, and dated until he left on his mission. I really thought I was going to marry him, but I am so glad that I ended up with Shawn. Looking back I wish that I would have dated around more. Julie and Robbie & James, and Stephanie (they all ended up marrying each other) did it right. They had feelings for each other, but still dated other people. Why wasn’t I that smart? I think I missed out on alot of fun because I was exclusive with one person.

30. Do you still talk to people from high school? The main ones are Julie and Robbie, but I still keep in contact with a lot of people. I keep up with others through Christmas cards, email, and now with blogging I have found some old friends!

31.Did you win prom queen or king? No….I was not that cool.

32. Where did you work in high school? I worked at Organ Stop Pizza. I loved it…that was actually where Brodie and I met…when he got a job there.

33. What were your grades? I had pretty good grades until my senior year…then I skated by. I slacked way too much. I still ended up graduating with honors…I don’t know how, but I did.

34. What was your dress style? I don’t know. I wasn’t a skater, and not a nerd… I think that I looked nice.

35. What year did you graduate? 1997

So dig into your brains, and relive your past...It would love to hear what high school was like for you!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

18 people know I LOVE comments!:

Sara! said...

Crystal, I'm going to call you, probably tomorrow because I/we need your help for the reunion, and my house is messy today and I really need to get it cleaned before I get sucked back into reunion stuff. (why am I blogging then you ask? I don't have a good reason but I needed a break.) Anyhow, I'll post this for you, but more for others since I'll be calling you.

Reunion stuff: Yes, come, we're planning it and are trying to get some great things lined up so it will be worth your while/money.

Sunday picnic: We're doing something else, none of us want to do it on Sunday and actually don't know how come it got printed as such. We will be doing a family picnic on Saturday. There may still be one on Sunday but maybe not since none of us want to be there then.

So, as mentioned before, go. We are really working hard and fast (long explaination on why its to this point and not more under control) on getting things together so tell everyone to come and let them rest assured that it will be worth it.

P.S. sorry about the novel and I love this post, so fun, and LOVE the Halloween changes. You are way too cute!

Kylie said...

Your new blog look is so cute! Ok I am serious--I am going to come over so Shawn can make our computer fabulous and you can show me how to make my blog fabulous!! I also love that most of your best friends from high school married each other! It makes it easy to stay in touch that way!

Mel said...

Very fun Meme!

Miss Niss said...

I am still debating as well...but may end up going w/out my hubby...I just CANT decide!!!

Unknown said...

Fun answers!! FuNnY to see Tawni on your top friends list..do you ever talk to her these days?? She doesn't have a blog...she does the myspace thing..

LoVe the Halloween look!!

Scribbit said...

I'm afraid I pretty much held my breath to get through high school. College was so much fun though that I still remember it with a lot of great memories.

Sara! said...

Hey all MHS '97 grads: There's a new blog for reunion stuff. It has a poll for the picnic day so if you have an opinion on that, be sure to vote.

Also, it has all the links on it for tickets, bio-sheets and updating your info.

www.mesa97.blogspot.com

Oh, and be sure to tell all your friends you graduated with. We're having a hard time finding everyone!

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

hey crystal-
well, I have read about most of your life, now, and I'm convinced I know you better than you know yourself! LOL I have answered all my ?'s, well sorta, but it has been fun catching up with you! I have to admit it is so hard when they split a ward, esp. when it's so tight knit!

I loved reading this post!!!! it took me back...those days of james, stu, david playing scum all night...I could never figure out what the whole point was, but now I love love love that game!

thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff, I don't wnat to go back either. I can't believe how expensive it is. That's ridiculous. Where's it going to be held at?

Crazymamaof6 said...

love to learn more about everyone! way to go!

Staci said...

I think you should go to the reunion! Are Rob & Julie going? If not...all of you should!

Anonymous said...

I really didn't care for high school because of this one girl. I still see her around and she still acts the same way!

emily said...

Hey Crystal! I am so glad that you found me. It is pretty crazy all the people that you can find. Your family is so cute. Looks like you are doing well. I have been thinking alot about high school too with the reunion coming up. I loved reading your answers. You should definitely go to the reunion. We are planning on it and I am really excited. I will keep checking on your cute family! Have fun.

Qtpies7 said...

Ok, I'm way older than you are, but I do know where you live just on this post because I was in school in AZ when Big Surf opened for the first time! Good times!
I graduated in '89, so I couldn't answer these questions on going to my 10th reunion, and I'm too old to remember the othere stuff, lol. (ok, not really, but I try not to relive those days.)

The Earls said...

Hey Crystal,
I found your blog from the reunion site. You do such a cute job. You're like me, I blog more than I use myspace. I loved your school memories, they brought me back.
Crystal (Elliott) Earl

Becky said...

I just had to write to say thanks for taking me down memory lane. I live in Georgia, and a good friend of mine sent me an email with a video clip she thought was hilarious. It was of Caden's Prayer. Then I saw your blog, and had to come visit. Then I red about the high school stuff and had to leave a comment. I went to Mtn. View - so forgive me, we're rivals, but since I graduated in '93, we can put that all aside since we weren't in HS at the same time, right?? :) Anyway - both my husband and I were born and raised in Mesa, most of our family and friends are in Mesa, and it's been years since we've been able to go back. We've been in Georgia for over 6 years and it was so much fun to read your blog and picture all those areas again. Thanks for letting me walk down Memory lane!
Becky (Stradling) Blake

Admin said...

If you don't go, can I take your place? I totally didn't go to my 10 year reunion last year because I couldn't find any friends to go with me & I didn't want to go by myself. Well, since then I have heard from people who went (who also complained about the exorbitant prices), but they LOVED it & said I totally missed out! You should really go or you will regret it like me. It's funny though because all the people I really wanted to see were either a year older than me or a year younger...

KatieJ said...

That was fun to read- I totally forgot about "The Poss!" Those guys really were funny- I'm glad you let me hang out with you guys sometimes! I know I was kind of silly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails