Monday, April 7, 2008

52 Blessings Project - Week Fourteen

The 52 Blessings Project
Once a week post a photo of something you are most grateful for. This gives us a chance to reflect on the good things we have learned from or that have made us better in our everyday lives or things we just enjoy! I think everyone needs to be more grateful for what they have now instead of always thinking about what we want! This is one of the things we can do to be more gracious people. It will be like a photo gratitude journal.

Week Fourteen

When I had Caden, I was like a typical first time mom. I didn't want to let him out of my sight. I wanted to provide everything for him. I had always known that I would breastfeed, and that is what I did. I don't think we even tried to give him a bottle until he was about 9 months old. I bet you can imagine the fight he put up with that. It was horrible. I didn't want that to happen again...everything I read said that I needed to wait until the baby was about 6 weeks old before I introduced a bottle. 'They' said that was so that my body could produce an adequate milk supply or something. So when I had Sydney...that is what I did...but it ended in the same result. I absolutely hated it. I hated the feeling I had every time I left my child. Not knowing if she was going to take the bottle or not. Whether she was screaming for hours on end. Not to mention how bad I felt for the person that was taking care of her.

This time around I am determined not to have a child that is so dependent on me for nourishment. We purchased a pump, and from the day that our little Thomas was born we have fed him from a bottle almost everyday. He obviously prefers me over the bottle, but at least it isn't as foreign to him, he still gets the same nourishment, and it allows me to be able to leave him without worrying.

This past Tuesday, I was able to go to Orchestra for the first time since I had Thomas. If it weren't for bottles I don't know when I would be able to get out by myself again. I am so thankful for such a wonderful invention.

If you would like to visit other peoples 'blessings' just go to Gardenview Cottage for a list of participants!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

21 people know I LOVE comments!:

Tonya said...

I'm glad you are able to get out. My kids never took a bottle no matter when I tried to give it to them, go figure.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Sometimes we just have to put aside what "they" say and go with our own mother intuition. Good for you!

raising4boys said...

So great you had time to yourself!! I have had that issue too, but now with my last I like that fact that he needs me and I can take just him everywhere I go. Although it would be more convenient once in a while. Glad you were able to get your baby to take the bottle :) Yay for FREEDOM!!

Within These Walls said...

You are a wise mother. I'm glad your were able to get away.

Unknown said...

Yay for bottles! What ever makes your life easier as a mother!

Cindy Price said...

Woo Hoo!! I think it's important for moms to get out. It's good for the baby and good for the Mom!!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

WHOOHOO! excellent blessing! way to go giving him a bottle early. and hallelujah for some piece of mind on being able to leave him happy at home .YAY!

Julie said...

I only had one baby that would take a bottle. I totally understand your love of the "bottle".

Julie

Cami said...

I love mom time! The bottle is a wonderful thing. It's good for dad to. Your baby is beautiful! Congrats! We need to get together soon. Dendi and I were saying we need a night out with all the 55th girls.

*katie said...

I would have gone metally crazy without bottles! I never mastered nursing with my twins so I pumped for 2 months then put my boys on formula...hopefully next time I'll be more successful.

Becky said...

Oh, how I know what you're talking about! I did the same thing with all of my kids, and I think #3 and #4 never even HAD a bottle. EVER. Which means I NEVER GOT AWAY!! So when I had baby #5, I was very good about pumping and giving her a bottle at least once a day. For the first six weeks. Then I kind of just didn't give her a bottle, and got right back into the same trouble again! So I applaud you for keeping it up! It's SOOO great. (And I agree - that 6 week thing is pure baloney! If you're going to do both breast and bottle - I think it's fine if you introduce them both at the same time, after all, you're getting your baby used to BOTH, right?) Anyway, way to go! And I'm glad you got to get out!! Keep it up, it is soooo important.

Heather said...

I think you are one smart girl! Wat to not be tied down AND not feel guilt.

Mighty Mighty Rudds said...

Good call on the bottle--"they" can be really confusing. The best results I have gotten in parenting are from my own decisions but "they" can sure make you nervous about thinking for yourself! Bottles do make my world a much better place too!
Bethany

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for the breast pump. It was my friend for three babies!!!

Webb Family said...

Bottles are great! Good move and that is wonderful that you were able to get out & not have to worry.

Carl and Starla said...

Amen to that! Skye actually perfered the bottle believe it or not. It was a constant struggle for her to breast feed, so after 3 months of fighting with my precious baby, I gave in and just gave her a bottle, it was like heaven for me...and for her! I am all about the bottle. The stress those 3 months caused me because "they" said breast feeding is what bonds the mother and baby together wasn't worth it. Infact, I felt more bonded with Skye once feedings were so easy when I gave her the bottle. So I strongly agree with "an ordinary mom" that we do have to put what "they" say aside and go with what works best for us as mothers and our child. And not every child is the same, Delanie was just so content breast feeding the second she came out...

Lara said...

That's funny because I did the exact opposite! I was determined my first one was going to take a bottle so we bought a nice pump. But then it was too much trouble so I bagged the whole thing. I love breast feeding but I'm one of those Mom's that only do it till they're one because I'm "supposed" to. I'm always excited to stop.

Jim and Brooke said...

Crystal, Congrats on your baby!!!!
I'm so happy for you!

My third, is a bottle baby too, and I love it! My 1st two wouldn't take a bottle, so I am grateful as well for the benefits of him taking a bottle. I also have noticed a closeness between my husband and Caleb. It is so much better because he has taken more part in his care and I have left him a lot more with daddy!
We will do it this way now everytime!
love, Brooke

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I'm glad that you've gotten to get out and that your little one is alright with the bottle. { never got mine to take one --- well, I didn't try too hard either}

Andrea said...

I totally agree! I didn't breast feed, so our bottles were very important to us. I liked knowing that anyone would be able to help feed our babies! We also gave our kids pacifiers - very helpful for us!

Doctors in India said...

Thanks for knowing exactly when to tell me what I want to hear, when I want to hear it the most.

Related Posts with Thumbnails