Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Zoo

Somehow I convinced myself that it would be a great idea to go to the zoo (twice in the past two weeks...crazy, I know.) Besides it being incredibly hot, we managed to have quite a good time.

Our first trip ran into lunch time. I didn't have time to pack anything before we had left the house so I opted for the overly priced concessions available. I walked up to the window, and tried to decide what was worth paying for. I finally opted for a small pizza. I figured it would at least tie us over until we got home. I placed my order, and chatted with the employee for a minute. She told me it would take about 5 minutes before it would be ready.
I started to push the stroller over to some picnic tables when she turned around and handed me two souvenir cups for the kids! They were filled with Icee's, and the best thing about it is they are good for FREE refills of fountain drinks throughout the zoo for the life of the cup! I was shocked that she just GAVE them to me! I got the kids settled, and went to pick up the pizza. That is when she handed me two kids meals, each with a hot dog, animal crackers, and a rice crispie treat!!! It was one of the nicest things ever! A meal that would have easily cost us $20-$30 only cost me $8!
Sydney had a panic attack while we were eating. The tables we were at were right by a pond/lake. So there were alot of ducks and birds around. These little fellows were obviously used to alot of visitors because they weren't afraid of us at all. In fact they got quite close...too close for comfort for our little Sydney. Some of the birds would just land with their mouths open. I felt bad for Syd, but had to laugh at the same time. She insisted on sitting on my lap, screaming at the top of her lungs, and then started tossing all sorts of her food to try to get them away. My poor kids are so pet deprived...they just don't know how to deal! :)
We even made a stop at the splash pad that they have within the zoo. Sydney was a little hesitant at first, but was able to have a bit of fun in the water. I think I need to send them outside in the sprinklers more often...they aren't too big on getting water in their face. Caden barely even got wet. Hopefully he will get braver as the summer goes by.
So even though it is hotter than hot...you can still have fun at the zoo. They open at 7 am, and since we have a membership, we can go for just a few hours, and still have lots of fun! As a bonus...it totally wears them out! If anyone is brave enough to go...just let me know...and we can meet you there!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

16 people know I LOVE comments!:

Heather said...

Love the last picture, Caden looks quite uncomfortable, poor guy!

Frolicking Night Owl said...

you're as crazy as me! taking 3 kids to the zoo!! although i've actually found it to be one of the easiest outings with 3 kids. we went twice in the last week, but it's in the 70's here!

Crazymamaof6 said...

fabulous outing! I TOTALLY USED TO DO THAT. I'd go twice a week year round. a membership there is Worth every penny. i have a membership but am not brave enough these days. pathetic. super fun stuff, and love the nap on the way home!

Elisa B said...

I love that last picture! So cute! Glad to hear things are going great for you!

*katie said...

Such a great picture of the tuckered out kiddos!! I have a membership to our zoo where I live and go either there or the wild animal park (fabulous!) at least twice a month in the summer. During the cooler months I'm there about twice a week. Love it!

Jamie said...

OH how fun and I am totally brave enough to go!! I love anything that wears them out. That pic of them sleeping is a classic!!!

Sherri said...

That was so nice of the zoo-food worker. It's nice to have people like that. Your zoo doesn't look busy which I like. And them sleeping like that after is your reward for taking them, as long as they go to sleep for you at night, too.

tammy said...

I love that picture of them konked out! So cute. You are a nice brave mom to go in this heat. Poor Sydney! Did she get to eat any of her lunch before throwing it at the wild ducks? - lol. My boys love to feed the ducks and fish whenever we go anywhere that has any. I have to stop them from throwing all their food at them.

Carina said...

The zoo for us is a big, once-a-year thing.

I really wish we lived closer.

KellyAnn said...

That sounds like so much fun. I haven't taken my kids to the zoo yet this summer. I definitely need to make plans.

Melanie and Will said...

WOW, all I have to say is you are ONE NICE MOM!!!! No way in heck would I take my kids to the zoo in this heat!!! But man, that lady was sooo nice to give you the free items for you kiddos. Guess that could make it worth it!

Dizzy Kate said...

I loved the pictures! So cute! That is awesome about the meal only costing 8 bucks! Starla is still in town. We have pretty much been out of town for the most part of her trip. She will be here until Monday. We are going to the Phoenix Childrens Museum on Saturday if you are interested. Give me a call. I would call you right now, but it is almost 11 pm. I don't think you would be too happy if I woke you guys up right now. : )

blah, blah by lindsey said...

almost free kids meals??? wow what a nice person! sadly we have not been to the zoo in awhile and with this heat and that fact that we live in the crick probably not gonna happen...love that they all fell asleep

idahohubers said...

What a fun day! Our zoo always leaves me slightly depressed for the animals. The cages are not nearly as well designed or as big as the ones there. We don't have elephants or griaffes either, well we don't have many animals at our zoo. Your kids are adorable and I love the polka do suit! Way to go on braving the heat.

Jenifer said...

Dont' you love it when the conk out like that? I have to admit, I find it a little intimidating with all the birds and squirrels coming up to me too!

Julie said...

The last picture is just too cute. We have passes to Disneyland but I havn't gone since it has gotten so hot. You are braver than I am.

Related Posts with Thumbnails