Sunday, May 3, 2009

Women's Conference

Earlier this year Julie called me up, and asked if I would want to go to Women's Conference with her. After I talked to Shawn we thought it would be a great idea. Julie and I had gone together years ago before we were married. We decided after this trip, that it needs to be an annual event.

I flew up on Wednesday, and my dear friend Jenny picked me up from the airport. We met up with Julie at Cafe Rio, and were able to catch up just a bit. I hadn't seen Jenny in almost 8 years! I had lost track of her, and just recently through Facebook we were able to reconnect. I loved seeing her and her cute baby, Brooklyn. My only complaint was that our visit was too short. I am now secretly trying to figure out a way to get her to move down here. Women's Conference is put on every year around the end of April beginning of May at the BYU campus in Utah. For two days thousands of women get together to listen to different speakers. All through out the campus different topics are being discussed, and we got to choose what we needed to listen to. We attended some really good classes, and others that I wish that we could walk out of...but overall the experience was great. One of the topics that I think I appreciated the most was "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Phillipians 4:11) It opened my eyes to realize that no matter what happens in life there is a choice.

I sat there and listened to a woman, who was around my same age, tell us about her trials of losing her husband to cancer 3 years prior. At 27 she was a widow, and also a mother to a young little boy. I was amazed with the joy that she was still able to find.

She taught us that in life there are two different doors we can choose from. The first door is WHY. We can open this door easily, but once inside it is impossibly difficult to leave. She could have spent the rest of her life wondering why Heavenly Father chose to take her husband away from their family. Why she has to raise her child on her own. Why she didn't get to have much time with him. The list can go on and on...

Instead she chose the second door that was labeled WHAT. Entering the door that says "WHAT" takes a lot more effort. Yet if we make that effort the rewards are doubled. That extra effort is what humbles us enough to receive more promptings and revelation from our Heavenly Father. Instead of asking 'WHY' we can ask 'What' do I need to learn from this? I know I have shared this on my blog before, but I will again.

"Every person God puts into our lives. Every experience that He gives us. Is the perfect preparation for the future only He can see."

As I sat there listening to her I thought of this quote. I came across it during a tough time in High School, and it has been a beacon for me throughout the years. I think it is a great example of the point she was trying to convey to us.

Life is hard....but we always have a choice. We can choose to blame or we can accept and grow. We can sometimes not understand why things happen. Yet, I know that He knows me better. He knows what I need in my life to prepare me to be stronger for what is to come.

I can't say I always open the What door. I have been known to have quite the pity parties at times, but this was a great reminder for me. We really do have a choice to be happy not matter what.

Besides having fun at the Conference, Julie and I got to spend some time shopping. There is something about Utah...they have great places to go shopping. Julie and I joked about driving up here with an empty van just so we could fill it up with cool stuff and bring it home. I hope to get a Tai Pan here someday...then I would be happy :)

Thanks Jules for inviting me along....can't wait for next year!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

1 people know I LOVE comments!:

H said...

That's a great quote Crystal! The words you shared about WHY and WHAT were very timely as well. Do you mind if I repost some of this and link to your site?

And for the record, I've never heard one of your pitty parties. I know we're not real close, but I'm not close to a lot of people who seem to be living in one big pity party. I think you mostly live through the WHAT door. Good for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails