Wednesday, June 17, 2009

First Day in London

Part of me was so mesmerized by London. I couldn't believe I was actually there. It was so surreal to visit these places that I seen and heard about. I really wish that we had more time to visit. Next time I would like to be there long enough to be able to take the time to actually go on tours of each of the buildings. Instead I was able to enjoy the views from the outside.
One of the most refreshing things about this little pit stop was being able to speak English. We arrived in London on a Wednesday. Shawn and I were able to enjoy that day together, but Thursday and Friday I was left solo while Shawn tended to his work. I feel like if we were in Spain (or any other country for that matter) I would have been less adventurous for fear that I would get lost, and then not be able to communicate with anyone. Besides the fact that I LOVE British accents...it is really something I could listen to all day long.

Wednesday brought lots of fun. We headed over to Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Square on the Underground. This trip really made me appreciate the subway system. It really is such a nice thing to use to get around...quite efficient. I grinned everytime it would stop and it would say "Please Mind the Gap." It is amusing the different phrasing they use. Here in America it would probably say "Please Watch your Step"...clearly not as amusing. Shawn and I decided that the British English is much more refined and proper, and American Enlish is the slang version...kinda like the difference of Spain Spanish, and Mexican Spanish.
Piccadilly Circus is London's Times Square. People are everywhere, and there is tons to do. Our first set of business was to find some tickets to a 'broadway' show. So we took the short walk to Leicester Square. This is the place where all the red carpet events take place when movies are opening in London. It would have been so cool if there was a movie opening, but alas there was not. Instead we found a half off ticket booth, and got some awesome tickets to see WICKED that evening!

Now we had time to burn before the show, and the first stop was eating. We went to Chinatown, and enjoyed a great meal. I wish I would have gotten a picture of the entrance of Chinatown, but just got one in front of the restaurant we ate at. This restaurant was really fun. Once you walked through the tunnel it was as if you were in China. They had a little bridge, and a Coi pond.

The underground took us to Westminster where we were able to take in Big Ben.
The day was a little overcast so we took a stroll over the Thames river and walked past The London Eye. We layed on the grass, and rested. I took some shots of the amazing 'Eye'. It is one of the largest Ferris Wheels in Europe.
Next stop was Trafalgar Square, and the National Gallery. Unfortunately the gallery closed 5 minutes after we arrived. I ended up going there by myself that Friday, but have to leave that experience for another post.
Trafalgar Square was quite the sight. I couldn't believe all the people just sitting around.
Buckingham Palace was beautiful. We spent some time watching the guards. It really is amazing how still they are. I would think that would be one of the most boring jobs ever.
Before we knew it, it was time to head over Apolla Victoria and enjoy WICKED. I couldn't contain my excitement. I had heard a few of the songs, and the raves of everyone that had been to it before and coudn't wait to see it for myself. I have to agree that it did not dissapoint! I found the story line to be so intriguing. It is amazing the things people do just to be liked. I thought the set was so cool...I know it is a bit dark, but this was the theatre before the show started. For those of you who have been to the show before...do they all look the same??
Such a perfect ending to a perfect day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

12 people know I LOVE comments!:

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

Green with envy...London is so great!! I haven't been there in too long, wanna go again?! :0)

Victoria said...

Awesome!! Would LOVE to go to London one day...

Patrice said...

That is awesome! I am hoping to get to wicked, too.

Palmer family said...

You guys are travelin' fools! I love it. I am jealous! I love the posts about it too. I will have to refer back someday when we go to London! :) FUN TIMES.
-Lindsay

Dizzy Kate said...

I am sooo happy you had such a good time. England is one place I would LOVE to visit. My dad was an English ambassador. He told me that they don't use the right accents because if you look in the dictiionary we actually pronounce the sounds they way they were meant to be. I don't know, whatever. I do LOVE the English accent also. All your pictures are so cute. I can't wait to get together again!

Dizzy Kate said...

I don't know what is up with my typing lately. I seem to be spelling everything incorrectly.

Emy5 said...

This is a cool post. So happy that you liked London and got to see Wicked, two of my favourite things!

Kylie said...

That post brought back so many memories--we went to all those places on our Honeymoon. I'd love to go back again someday! And don't you love how you can walk right up and buy awesome seats to broadway shows!?! I took David to see Les Mis, Phantom and Lion King while we were there--I think those were his first musicals he had ever seen and now he loves them.

(I have only seen Wicked in Hollywood, but the stage/set looked pretty much just like the one in your picture).

Two little lovebirds said...

How fun!!! I would love to see the placs you have seen! I am going to see Wiked the end of July and I am sooo excited! Hey, how did you get papyrus font on your blog?

Suzanne said...

How fun! I'm glad that you had such a good time! London looks fabulous, and so does the rest of your trip!

H said...

"LONDON BABY!!!" How much fun, and I can't say that I've always wanted to go, but do now. You took some great pic's and it sounds like a great time.

Schatz said...

that was all done in ONE day?! You must have been crazy tired. Hey, is China town the same experience everywhere. Like, could you tell you were in "london's chinatown" or is it the same as San Fran's/NY?

Related Posts with Thumbnails