Friday, June 19, 2009

The Prado vs. The National Gallery

I am not an artist, and will never claim to be. Yet, I really enjoyed roaming through two of the biggest art galleries around the world. While in Spain we got to visit Museo del Prado, and in England I was able to enjoy The National Gallery.

Although they are both great in their own right...I have to say that I would choose The National Gallery over Museo del Prado.

Spanish art is very different. Not really a bad thing, but not what I am used to. They are very graphic. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I believe in Christ. I believe that he was crucified, and resurrected, and still lives today. So it was a little disturbing to walk through the rooms through out the Prado and see such graphic pictures of Christ. Most of them showed him so emaciated.

I know that time in Christ's life was not pretty, but it was not how I pictured it. When I think of Christ I like to think of the joy he brings into my life. I am thankful that he was crucified for me, but don't like to dwell on that. The Spanish culture has it everywhere, and it saddens me that there isn't more focus on the fact that he lives.

Other than the pictures of Christ, Museo del Prado still has more to offer. One of the most famous paintings on display there is Las Meninas. The colors and detail in this painting are phenomenal. Just to see this painting made our visit worth it. On the other hand there are some other bizarre paintings there. This one caught almost all of us off guard. President Shallenberger's wife, and myself included burst out laughing when we rounded the corner to see this.
Seriously...what where they thinking?? I don't know the exact paintings name but the translation was something like "The choir of the milk" (If you can't tell...this is supposed to be a statue of the virgin Mary. The priest is kneeling in front, and Mary is squirting milk from her breast into his mouth) Like I said...Bizarre!

That is why it was so refreshing to go to the National Gallery. For one it was FREE! I was able to see paintings by Monet, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Da Vinci. All so beautiful. I think the difference with this gallery is there were more portraits, and landscapes. Something I find more intriguing to look at. They still had pictures of the crucifixion, and lots of nudity, but I found myself much more satisfied when leaving the gallery.

I am glad I was able to see so many different paintings. To see the differences in the cultures of Spain and England. They are definitely things not to miss if you make it to Europe.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

0 people know I LOVE comments!:

Related Posts with Thumbnails