Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pre-school Graduation

Today was Caden's last day of pre-school. I still can't believe that it is over! It really went by so fast. I have loved watching him learn this year. He really has come such a long way. At the beginning of the year he couldn't even begin to write his name...now it is constantly scribbled over every paper he can get his hands on. He is spelling words, knows the days of the week, and the months of the year. I am amazed everyday with the things that come out of his mouth. He has loved going to school, and he really is going to miss his class. They did a craft with summer visors using different foam stickers, and then went around they signed each others visors. It was so cute to watch all the kids try to sign their names. Caden had a fun time trying to get everyones signatures. Everything was pretty low key. Mrs Johnston read them a book...it was a sequel to The Little Engine that Could. After the story she gave out all the certificates. Caden was so happy.


It really made me reflect on how much my little guy has grown. He is getting so big, and learning new things everyday. Since Caden turns 5 on September 13th, he won't be able to start Kindergarten. Instead he will be starting a program call "Young Learners." It is for children who turn 5 after September 1st, but before December 31st. Shawn had really wanted me to try to get him into Kindergarten, but I just don't feel like he is ready for it. I think he is a really bright child, but socially he needs some time to mature. The nice thing about the program is at the end of the year he can be evaluated, and if he is ready they will just put him into 1st grade. It is nice to have this opportunity to be able let him ease his way into school. The Young Learner program is half day instead of the full day. It is the same curriculum as kindergarten, but taught a slower pace. I am excited for him, and hope that we are making the right decision.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

9 people know I LOVE comments!:

An Ordinary Mom said...

It's good to see you posting again ... although I know how it feels to just not be in the mood to blog lately. I haven't been posting nearly as often either!

That Young Learner program sounds fantastic!

Mighty Mighty Rudds said...

Macy is about to finish Kindergarten and I feel the same way about how fast they grow up! It really puts everyday junk into perspective!!
Bethany

Holly Janeen said...

i think you are an excellent mom and are making great decisions!

i just love having Caden in our class and from all the things he says we can tell that he comes from a nurturing home :)

keep up the great work!!

KellyAnn said...

kids grow up way to fast!!! My 'babies' just started early childhood preschool and they love it!!

Tonya said...

I have a September baby but the school my kids go to have the cut off on Oct 1st. But she is a girl and I think they were born social ;) That program you got Caden into sounds great. I wish more places had opportunities like that. I love watching my kids learn!

Timid Scorpion said...

Wow! I can tell you that the young learners programs are great! My son went into one last year held at the Jordan Elementry it was free and her went 5days for half a day. It was great.. he could of gone into 1st this year but it was sugguested that he do Kindergarten. This last month has been like I light switch finally turning on in his head.. He understood things before but now he is really understanding them. We dont have a program like that here in Casa grande. Next year I am going to figure out a way to send My daugther to Jordan..

Rhiannon said...

Jersey has pre-school graduation coming up and even though she is old enough for school I still worry that she is going to be ok. I guess we as mothers never get over that.

Abbie said...

The Young Learner program sounds like a really great idea. I think you will be happy that Caden was enrolled in it, instead of burning him out in full day kindergarten.

Within These Walls said...

I love the idea of the young learner program. It sounds like the perfect answer. We don't have all day kindergarten and in a lot of ways I'm glad. 1st grade is soon enough to send them away all day! I'm glad Caden has done so well in pre-school.

Related Posts with Thumbnails