Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My "Big Girl"

By the time Caden was 20 months old he was throwing (literally) himself out of his crib. I distinctly remember him hurting himself so bad that he couldn't even be lifted under his arms. So by the time I had Sydney, (he was 2 years and a few weeks when she was born) he was already in his "big boy" bed. I think part of it was due to his size (he was super tall), and the other was just his personality...he likes to push his limits. Sydney has been a whole different story. Even though Sydney was 2 1/2 when Thomas was born...she had yet to even attempt climbing out of the crib! I could not bring myself to 'kick her out' of the crib.

Thanks to Maranda, I was given a really nice cradle that I was able to put Thomas in. I usually have the baby in our room for the first few months before I actually move them to the crib. I figure if I am getting up a few times during the night...it is nice to have them close by. So it has been easy to keep Sydney in her crib. I thought as soon as I put her in a 'big girl' bed I would have to say good bye to naps or at least it would be quite the battle (it was with Caden). So I kept putting it off...yet I knew that I would need to do it soon.

Then two weeks ago, I put Sydney down for her regular afternoon nap. She always goes down pretty easily. I went about doing some things around the house. It had been a couple of hours, and I was in my room putting away some laundry. I glanced at the clock and noticed it was getting late, and I should wake Syd up so that she would be able to go to bed at a decent hour. I walked over to her room, opened her door, only to find her sitting on the ottoman of the glider singing a song to one of her toys! She turned, smiled, raised her eyebrows and said, "Mom...I climbed out of my crib!" She was so proud! I was shocked that she hadn't left the room!
So that night, we still put her in the crib for bed. In the morning I was already up, and was nursing Thomas downstairs. I kept hearing the door (we have those handle doorknobs) handle being let go again, and again. I continued feeding Thomas waiting to see her creep around the corner proud of her accomplishment once again....yet she never came! Finally I put Thomas down, and went to her room. Again she was just sitting in the middle of the room entertaining herself! It has been so bizarre for me. The minute Caden's feet hit the floor he was out the door. She just sits and waits!!!!

We eventually have put her in her 'Big girl' bed...we have her on the bottom bunk in Caden's room. Like I said before, I thought naps would be over once she was out of the crib, but for the most part...she will stay in her bed. She has on occasion left the room to go back into the nursery to 'change her clothes' (her clothes are still in that room), but most the time she will wait in the room until I come and get her! It really amazes me at how good she has done with it. She is such a good little girl. Yet she is growing up right before my eyes! Sigh!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

15 people know I LOVE comments!:

Jenifer said...

oh they grow up so fast! At least she isn't getting hurt! She is such a beautiful girl!

Carina said...

This sounds like the same difference between our little ones. Zaya wouldn't even go to sleep unless one of us was right there with him, so we switched him to a big boy bed at 13 months. When Mim was born he was 17 months old. She made the transition only a few months ago (about 2 1/2) and just sits in her bed and yells for me if she gets up.

My favorite is, "Mom! Is it wake-up time?!"

Strong Family - said...

Zach used to do the same thing (throw himself out of the crib headfirst). I didn't know how he was getting out for a couple of days because I knew he couldn't climb out. Then he did it out of the playpen while I was watching (and landed smack upside-down on his head). Within an hour I had the crib converted to a toddler bed. All of my kids (except him) have been moved out of the crib at 18 months and have done really well on a mattress on the floor. Good for you that she's still napping!

Heather said...

She is so pretty. Hooray for an obedient easy child who will entertain herself. I hope she continues!

Jen said...

My kids were like that too, and I was amazed that it was Corbin who threw himself out at an early age and it is Gavin still in it, albeit the front is off the crib for a toddler bed, but he stays in. We hope to move over to a big boy bed this summer.

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome! you gotta love that!

Marquita said...

What a good little girl! She looks just like you. It kills me!

Unknown said...

Oh that little girl is too cute! Keta, Sara and I decided that she is Crystal's twin. She looks so much like you...it is so funny! It is a sad thing to watch them grow, and turn into little people. Sad, and yet so fun! Bittersweet. Love the walls of her room, the white and bright yellow...too cute!

Unknown said...

And I forgot to mention that it is crazy that she sits and waits to be taken out of her room. That is a rare thing. Enjoy that while it lasts. ;)

Becky said...

What a blessing! Sydney is doing great! I am in the same situation. Saige is almost 2, and by now the other kids were already climbing out of their cribs. Since she's the last, I am not looking forward to it. I have tried putting her in the bottom bunk (it's a full-size bed) with one of her sisters, but she won't stay in the bed. I *hope* to see her stay in the crib a little longer. Glad to see you catching up on the blogging! I have missed you!

Tonya said...

That is awesome that she stays until you come and get her. Good girl!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

She is adorable! What a cute story. Mine NEVER stayed put.... some NEVER slept in the crib! Yeah for nice good kids!:)

An Ordinary Mom said...

Count your blessings :) !! My "big girl" sounds just like yours, and my three year old little man sounds just like Caden.

Frolicking Night Owl said...

marina is a sit and waiter. funny how all kids are different and we'll see how things change as the babies get older. my siblings and i were always up before my parents (well, at least on Saturdays) and glued to the TV before they could stop us!

Holly Janeen said...

aw! she is makes such a great big sister for Thomas- its crazy because when i first moved to this area, in Los Alamos ward- she was the baby of the family- and now look at how grown up she is! i heard her cooing at baby Thomas in sacrament meeting and thought it was adorable! you seriously have the cutest family!
thanks for your blog comments... yes i do teach beginning piano and voice- but sadly, since we are moving im not really taking any students :(
it makes me feel so good that you like my enchalada recipe- because i LOVED the recipe you submitted to the beyond the rut recipe exchange- we made it and LOVED IT!! i totally want more of your recipes!
we love love love teaching the CTR5 class... and Caden is a joy to have! we are also glad to have YOU in primary as the secretary- we need your smiling face :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails