Friday, August 22, 2008

School Beginnings

Dear Caden,

It has been kind of frightening realizing that you are now at an age where I actually have to raise you. Not that I haven’t really been doing that before, but you are now at a point in your life where you are going to experience many things without me. I hope and pray that I can help you understand the difference between right and wrong. I hope that I can teach you the things you need to know so that when you are not with me…you will make the right choice. Knowing that it is your Daddy and my responsibility scares me.

I have watched you grow from being a ‘tank’ of a baby into a little/big boy. Your personality has grown and developed to a headstrong, determined child. You know what you want, and rarely give up on getting it. I know that one day you will be a great leader because of it.
On August 11th you started “Young Learners.” Since your birthday is on September 13th you did not meet the Sept. 1st cut off to be in ‘real’ Kindergarten. This program is great because it still teaches you all the things the Kindergartner learns, but you get more hands on experience. Plus it means that you get to spend half the day with us before going to school ALL day next year.

You have been so excited for school to start. I had fun going to the store and looking for school supplies. The look on your face when we found a “BUMBLEBEE” backpack was priceless. You were so excited to have something ‘so cool’. We got your stuff loaded and all ready to go.
That morning you got up and got dressed right away. You didn’t have to be to school until the afternoon, but that didn’t matter. We had to do your hair just right, get the right snack, and make sure you had a water bottle. The time finally came and we were off to the school. You willingly ran off to play at the playground while we waited for the teacher to show up to take you to class.
When she was ready, she asked you all to line up against the wall before you walked inside. I had to chuckle to myself when I snapped the picture. I have always known that you were tall, but this picture made it so evident. I was glad you were so happy. I think if you weren’t…leaving you would have been much harder.
When I picked you up that day you said, “It was okay Mom….there is not much time for playin’ though.” I laughed again knowing that you have no idea that the next chunk of your life will be full of ‘not much playin.’

I want you to know that I love you so very much. I am so thankful that I was given the gift to be your mother. Please know that I am not perfect. I am new to this whole thing. I am striving to figure out what I need to do to help you become a responsible adult. I know this is something that I could not do without help from the Lord. He is my rock, and I hope to instill that same testimony in your heart. I am excited to join you in this new adventure of schooling. I am excited for you to learn new things, and at the same time it makes me realize that I will have to let go of the little boy in you that I love so much. You are growing up before my eyes, and one day…will not need me anymore. Until then I will hug you, kiss you, and love every minute that you will let me.

Love,
Mom
************************************************************************
More updates on the Nielson's...I have copied some stuff from CJane's blog

Stephanie and Christian have a tradition in their family where, at family parties, birthdays, or other special occasions, they write inspriational things on a piece of paper, tie them to balloons, and let them go. On Saturday, we'd like to invite people anywhere, everywhere to write thoughts of faith and hope to be released at the same time. Lets do 5:00 AZ time (6:00 MST/7:00/Central/8:00/Eastern). Will you all take pictures of the release where you are and e-mail me [cjane] so we can post them on Monday?

For the Arizona Peeps from Camilla Wright: We are going to plan on meeting up around 4:45 this Saturday afternoon at the temple grounds to let all our balloons fly and to show our love and support for their sweet family. We hope all can make it, it will be short and sweet. Bring your own red balloons to let go with all the well wishes they could ever hope for!

Send cards, pictures, etc. to:
c/o Stephanie and Christian Nielson
Maricopa County Hospital
2601 East Roosevelt Street
Phoenix, AZ 85008


Their family has also set up some accounts with Bank of America and Wells Fargo. You can get more info about that on CJane's Blog. Or if you feel so inclined you can click on the lovely button in my side bar that they have made so you can make a donation through paypal.

They continue to need your prayers. This last post was beautifully written, and will update you on the latest.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

12 people know I LOVE comments!:

KellyAnn said...

That letter was so sweet. It is so hard to let our children go out into the 'real' world. What a cute little guy. All big and ready for school!

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet! What a great Idea, I wish I would have done that for my older two, then I could remember how I felt the day I sent them off for someone else to be responsible for them. I remember I was scared, I thought the school might lose them but clearly they did not.
I loved your letter, you are a very sweet mommy.

Crazymamaof6 said...

what a sweet letter to your oldest! it's scary the first time around. you are a WONDERFUL mom! he's such a lucky boy to have you!

Andrea said...

Oh crystal! I almost cried! I LOVE your letter to Caden! It's exactly how I felt when I sent my oldest off to Kindergarten (full day)! {well except i know my kids are never the tallest ones - LOL}

Hope he's enjoying school! I was so scared, nervous & excited for my oldest. But he was so ecstatic & LOVED it so much that it made me happy to send him to school each day!

I am kinda sad because my youngest will be old enough for kindergarten next year and that means I only have ONE year to have him all to myself during the days! I am enjoying each day with him while I can.

Aprilyn said...

What a cute little man you've got there. I'm glad his first day went well. My oldest is in 4th grade and I'm constantly amazed at his strength. Not so much physical strength, but the strength to do what is right, even when it isn't "cool". He's been made fun of quite a bit but that's OK. He gave the FHE lesson last week and told us that it's OK to be different. We're supposed to be different in a good way. If we're following Jesus Christ, we will be different than the world but different is good. Isn't that great?! I love my son!

Aprilyn said...

P.S. I keep checking Jane's blog every day. I've been praying so hard for the Nielsons. I'm even going to the Utah Balloon Launch tomorrow and I'm taking my boys. I know there might be so many people there that nobody will even know who I am but that's OK. This isn't about me, it's about Stephanie and Christian.

Emy5 said...

That was a really beautiful letter to your son!

Anonymous said...

He is one handsome little guy and yes, I got a chuckle out of how tall he is compared to the other kids. My Jacob is like that, too! ;-)

Holly Janeen said...

caden is such a cutie!!! i miss that kid :) and thomas' lip trick is awesome!...hope all is well!

tammy said...

What a cutie. It's hard to let them go.

Mandy said...

I cried when I read your letter. I don't ever want to let Kimball go!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Big steps.... for him and for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails