Thursday, December 17, 2009

Gingerbread

When I say that Christmas came in the blink of an eye...I meant it. The Saturday after Thanksgiving we got together for our traditional Making of the Gingerbread Houses! We began doing this a few years ago with Shawn's family. I have to say that I think I look forward to it more than the kids do!

This year we tried to create our own shingles using 100 calorie Oreo's. I think that it turned out pretty well. We could have layered them for a better effect, but I still think it looked good. We also created a snowball fight, and a 'forest' of trees. Caden thinks next year we need to have Santa's feet sticking out of the chimney. Every year it is fun to see the different things that we came up with. The thing I love most about this tradition is the memories that it creates. We have had some funny things happen each time! Our finished product!Geoff, Betsy & CodyAngie & JacksonTori, Tracy, Caroline, Hunter & AbbyNana & Abby Tori & Tracy are the designated gingerbread makers...so we usually do the decorating at their house. They are lucky enough to live near the Temple. So last year we added the tradition of walking to the temple to walk the ground at see their wonderful light display.It is so fun to see Sydney interact with these two. She really looks up to them, and I am thankful that they are such great examples for her.Thomas & CodyMy crewThese kids are so funny! Geoff and Jackson were good sports about it though.I am sad to report that although all the houses were standing before we left to the Temple. Geoff & Betsy's could not withstand the walk to their car! One of these years they will get to take theirs home!!
Decorating these houses was the perfect way to kick start our season. I have our gingerbread as the centerpiece on our table. It is so fun to see it everyday. One thing I am amazed about is the kids haven't even touched it!!! In past years...by the time Christmas was here...our house was devoid of all candy that was removable. I guess that they are proud of their creation (or maybe it was my threatening...haha)

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

4 people know I LOVE comments!:

Amy said...

Wow. Geoff & Jackson have sure grown up since the last time I saw them!!!
Looks like you all had a great time. What fun memories!

Maranda Whittle said...

Wow, everbody did such a good job on their houses! What a fun tradition.

Patrice said...

That is so much fun. We like to make cookie trains. Gotta love those traditions!

stacy said...

so much fun!!!!!! i LOVE your family picture. your friend is so talented. you guys aren't too bad either! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails