Monday, July 18, 2011

8 Weeks to a Better You

Yesterday I got an 'invitation' for an event from a friend of mine on Facebook.  
She was challenging us all to take part in improving our lives in 8 weeks.  
It is based off of this blog.
I read through the details, and thought...I can do this.
It is the perfect motivation that I need.
It is NOT a weight loss plan, but if I try to do everything each day...most likely I will lose weight.
Most of all I think it will be a great thing for me to help develop some good habits, and have people supporting me along the way...doing exactly what it says...making me a better me!  
We started the challenge this morning. 
I am happy to say that I did everything!
I think the thing I will struggle most with is sugar. 
That is totally my weakness.
The other great thing is that because one of the aspects of the challenge is 'journaling'...I should be posting here in my space more often. 
I sure have missed it.
I look back at past posts, and am sad that I haven't kept up the blog like I would have liked.
So hopefully I will be able to catch up or atleast get in a better habit of updating.
Even though we did start today...I would love if anyone would like to do this with me.
I always say...the more the merrier!
Here is to the next 8 weeks!
The following are the 10 daily "tasks" to check off, each one counting as a point. The top point earner will win the pot. With a few runners up also. We are going on the honor code, so be honest!! If you decide to join, msg me your email address so I can send you a spreadsheet to print out and keep track of your points. Oh, and very important, you get one FREE day each week!! But you have to do all your slacking off on that ONE day. Sweets/no exercise/no journaling/etc. all have to be done (or not done) on the SAME day. Make sense? So without further ado, here are the daily tasks. Keep in mind that updating your family/personal blog counts as journaling!


1. Exercise at least 45 minutes a day. Make it fun and mix it up. Schedule it in so you're less likely to find excuses not to do it. Add up everything you do - walk the kids to the park, have a dance off in the house. It doesn't have to be hard-core exercising. 

2. Get at least 7 hours of sleep per day (naps are included). Yes, please!

3. Drink 64 ounces of water. 8 glasses, 8 oz. each. Easier than it sounds. Start off with drinking 2 glasses right when you wake up and you're 1/4 of the way there!

4. No sugar. I am interpreting this as no sweets. Things that you know have a lot of sugar in them. I am not eliminating every single thing that has any trace of sugar in it, like bread or spaghetti sauce. If you want to, go for it. 

5. No soda or junk food. This is subject to interpretation also, (kinda) but try and be as honest as you can. What is junk food to some might not be to someone else. Try and stay away from as many processed things as you can, let's put it that way. Things from a box or a can are generally not good for you. 

6. Eat at least 2 servings of fruits and 2 servings of vegetables. Really not as hard as it sounds. Include fruits and/or veggies with EVERY meal. This is the perfect time to enjoy lots of yummy fruits and veggies. 

7. No eating after 8 pm. Self explanatory.

8. Write in journal every day. Blogging counts as journaling. Or try writing in your journal after you read. The key is to have a system and use it! 

9. Complete at least 15 minutes of uplifting reading. No matter what your beliefs, this is to encourage a closer relationship with God. Or something greater than yourself. Read the scriptures, self-help books, religious magazines, something that makes you think about your place in this world and want to be BETTER. Getting up before everyone else and reading is probably the best time to get the most out of it. 

10. Do an act of service/kindness that is outside of your normal routine. This one will probably be the hardest one (for some people), if you think of major acts of service 6 days a week for 8 weeks. Think small. Let someone go ahead of you in line at the store. Say hi to as many people as you can in one day. Having a stranger smile and say hi really makes my day! If you think ahead and include your spouse, kids, neighbors as well as those larger acts, it won't seem as daunting. Service will really help us to grow the most. 

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

3 people know I LOVE comments!:

Tawni said...

Kay, I want in. I am starting to slack again and need another kick in the pants. Pass on the check list sister. Thanks!Ü

Anonymous said...

I want to do it. Email me amber.whiting@cox.net

tammy said...

Sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to do a lot of these already. The no sugar one is hard. I find my hand in the chocolate chip bag a little too often.

Related Posts with Thumbnails