Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week One

I have to say that I am really enjoying doing this 8 Week Challenge. It has been the perfect motivation for me.  I have to say that am pleasantly surprised at how well I have done.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to do some of the tasks EVERY SINGLE DAY...but for the most part I did well.  I thought I would 'journal' here how I did just to see my progress.

1. Exercise at least 45 minutes a day.  I was able to get to the gym 5 days this week! WooHoo!  So not perfect, but good enough for me.  I usually like to get there in the morning, and get it out of the way....but with a newborn....I got there when I could.  It has been an interesting thing for me because normally if I didn't get there in the morning...I just didn't go.  So I have liked having that extra commitment to get there even if it is later in the day.
 

2. Get at least 7 hours of sleep per day (naps are included). This one was interesting, since I do have a little one, but luckily he has been sleeping pretty well.  Sometimes even for 6 hour stretches (hallelujah!)  And even when he does wake up, he just eats and goes back to sleep.  So I was able to check this one off every day.
 

3. Drink 64 ounces of water. 8 glasses, 8 oz. each. This one was a no-brainer for me.  I have a 32 oz. water bottle, and easily consume atleast one if not 2 when I workout.  I usually end up filling that water bottle 3-4 times through out my day...so more than enough.  I love me some water.
 

4. No sugar.  I cannot believe I actually accomplished this with the exception of my 'free' day.  Sugar has always been my downfall.  Candy is my friend.  It was not easy, but I am so proud of myself from actually turning down sweets.  Even on my 'free' day the only thing I had was an oatmeal cream pie, which could also qualify as junk.  But no CANDY!   Yay!

5. No soda or junk food. For me this should just say no junk food.  I have never been a big fan of soda or should I say carbonation.  It is just not something I crave.  What this challenge has done is open my eyes to how many opportunities that I had to eat junk.  Pizza is a big one.  My kids love it, and it is easy for me.  I used to probably get a couple of pizza's atleast once a week for dinner.  It has helped me make menus so that I would have better food choices, and not fix the easiest and quickest thing.  I try not to buy alot of 'junk' food because my kids tend to burn through it, but I do buy things every once in a while.  I only ended up having some popcorn at our Summer Movie Fun this week - again on my free day.

6. Eat at least 2 servings of fruits and 2 servings of vegetables. Again, another easy one for me.  I love fruits and veggies, and eat them regularly.  Now I just have to 'keep count'.  Which is good because there are some days where unintentionally I realize I haven't eaten as much as I should.  It makes for much healthier snacks. 
 

7. No eating after 8 pm. This one is one of my harder ones.  Since I have little ones we have to have dinner early. For them, the ideal time is 5pm.  Sometimes that is difficult to do, but I shoot for it.  Otherwise, meltdowns occur or they start trying to eat other things while I am making dinner...and then they aren't hungry by the time dinner is done.  So having dinner early is great, but then I tend to get the late night munchies.  I know I struggle with this because I have to make a conscious effort not to go looking for something to nibble on.  But luckily...so far so good.

8. Write in journal every day. (Blogging counts as journaling) I am so glad this was one of the goals because I have missed blogging so much.  After I had Thomas, I think alot of things went downhill for me.  I let alot of things go, and couldn't seem to motivate myself to do much of anything.  It saddens me to think I have alot of memories not recorded.  I am hoping this will help me get a routine, and I will continue to post regularly after the challenge ends.


9. Complete at least 15 minutes of uplifting reading. Another great goal, and one that I have struggled with my entire life.  I don't know why, but I have always been really bad at reading my scriptures.  What I started doing this past week is reading my scriptures from my phone while on an elliptical or bike at the gym.  It has been wonderful.  I love being able to do both at once.  If I am not able to do it while working out, I end up having alot of time while nursing little Grayson...so I will read there.  Again a great habit that I hope to keep up after the challenge.

10. Do an act of service/kindness that is outside of your normal routine. This one has been interesting, but so doable.  It has opened my eyes to the little things you can do for people.  Things that don't take alot of effort.  I think so many times we think that in order to give service it has to be some big elaborate event, but it can really just be something as simple as a compliment or smile to someone who looks like they are having a rough day.  



Friday ended up being my 'free' day.  I already can see how difficult this is going to be to keep up on the weekends.  There is always lots of opportunities to mess it up.  I already know that I have to be really good this week because I don't get my 'free' day until Saturday...with a birthday party and then Broadway Palm Dinner Show that night...I will have to wait until then to blow it!  Haha


Amazingly enough my grand total for the week was 69 out of 70 possible points! (Only possible with the 'free' day otherwise it would have been 64!  


This week is half over, but so far so good! 

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

1 people know I LOVE comments!:

Heather said...

Great job! I did this same challenge after I had the twins and mine was 12 weeks long, it can be a struggle to get everything done with newborns. Also I have always struggled with sugar and scripture reading, even now. I need to be much better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails