Monday, February 18, 2008

The Night We Met...

You can find the first part of Our Love Story here.

I had spent the whole summer playing phone tag with a friend that I had made in my World Religions class that spring. His name was Jason, and he had moved here from New Mexico with his family. He was a couple years younger than me, but really didn’t know many people here. I had offered to have him hang out with me and my friends and finally, in August, we were able to find a time that both of us were available.

It seemed like from the beginning there was a higher hand involved in this evening. I started to plan what we would do. As I called all of my friends, they all ended up being out of town or had family obligations that would not allow them to come along and ‘play’ with us. I was disappointed that Jason would not be able to meet them, but we decided to go to a movie, and then to a place where a local swing (40’s swing) dance was being held.

After the movie, we headed to the swing dance only to find a sign on the door saying that it had been canceled! I couldn’t believe it! It seemed that nothing that I had planned was going right that evening. My last resort was to head over to the Country Singles Dance.

I had vowed to never go there ever again. I had been in the past, and was always stalked by this particular guy that really creeped me out. Yet, this was the only place for us to go…so we made our way there. Little did I know that going there that night would change my life forever.

We entered the cultural hall (church gym), and started mingling. I have grown up here all of my life so I always seemed to see someone that I knew. Sometime during the night, I left to go get a drink of water. As I was making my way back, I passed this guy. We made eye contact, I said “Hello”, and kept walking. The next thing I knew, someone was tapping me on my shoulder. It was the same guy I had just passed, and he was asking me to dance.

He was pretty funny. Tall, skinny, and kinda made me laugh with some of his dance moves. We made as much conversation as you can while trying to country swing to a fast song. After the song had ended, we chatted a little bit more. His name was Shawn. He also grew up here. He knew my cousin, and I actually knew some of the friends that he had come with. I told him about Jason, and how he was new in town, and needed to meet people.

Shawn jumped on that as soon as I opened my mouth. We made our way back to Jason, and before we knew it we were all hanging out together. Shawn introduced Jason to all of his friends. He spent the rest of the dance trying to make Jason feel welcome. After the dance was over, Shawn invited us to meet over at Wendy’s to get some frosty’s.

We headed to Wendy’s, downed our treats, and then somehow ended up at a girls house playing pool, and singing songs around a piano. Shawn had ended up asking Jason if he would like to come to his ward the next day. I couldn’t believe how bold he was, but Jason was glad to accept and wanted me to come along too.

I went home that night thinking that it was so nice that Jason was able to meet some great people. I thought Shawn was a very outgoing person, and was glad that he made Jason feel so welcome. I went to bed thinking that Shawn was going to make such a good friend.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

17 people know I LOVE comments!:

Suzanne said...

Hi Crystal!
Your blog is so cute! I am so glad that I happened to see it. You are such a pretty mommy to be! I met my husband at the country dance too! Neither of us planned on going, and just ended up there. This post reminded me of junior high in the orchestra room, you and I talking about boys before class. :) I hope that everything goes well with your new baby!
Here is the address for my blog:
http://tjandsuzanne.blogspot.com/
Hope to hear from you!
Suzanne (Garner) Ruesch

Andrea said...

You are so nice trying to help boys feel welcome & make friends. Shawn was probably being nice but also trying to get Jason occupied with other friends so he could spend more time with you. tee hee :) Boys can be sweet but also sneaky sometimes! LOL

Lovin' your 'how you met' story!!

Scribbit said...

Ha! I fell in love with a short guy after being "good friends" :) Funny how that leads to so much more!

KellyAnn said...

Cute, Cute, story! There is definitely a higher hand in all things isn't there?

Heather S. said...

What a fun story. I think it's so funny how we end up with our husbands. You'll be so glad you recorded this. Thanks for your comment on my blog.

Unknown said...

You never know how things work out! That's such a great story!

Check out my contest at www.theshoppingfund.com

Jenifer said...

Loving the story! I met my husband country dancing!

Webb Family said...

I love hearing about couples met. Thanks for sharing your story!

Strong Family - said...

Hey! Melinda told me she had met someone who knew me named Crystal...I thought it was probably you. I have such great sister-in-laws...so fun since I never had any sisters. Cute, cute blog. And good luck with the baby!!! They grow up way too fast, huh. It feels like I just barely had Connor and he's all over the place and just not really a baby anymore. Glad you found me!

Melanie said...

Crystal,

I just found your blog through Lisa Wagamen's. She is in my ward. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blog. It sounds like you are about due with your new baby! I hope everything goes wonderful. It is so fun to see pics of your cute family. I love that we can keep touch this way. Love, Melanie Gibson (Thurber)

Sherri said...

I love stories like this, especially ones where you know something higher was leading you along. I felt that I was being prepared, guided, humbled, chastened the year before I met my husband. And I'm so glad it happened that way. I just noticed you had my blog on your list. Thanks! I need to add you to mine.

Heather said...

I think I can see that Shawn had ulterior motives already, "how nice of him to invite my cousin to church..."

Love it!

Phae-Jae said...

I love it! Little did you know...:D

Jenifer said...

I tagged you! Check out my blog to see what you need to do!

idahohubers said...

Fun story - I wonder if that stalker at the dance was the same creepy guy I'd see there! I swore I'd find a man there but never happened...can you picture Jake and a country dance! Funny thought. No wonder we didn't meet that way. Good luck on your last 2 weeks those can feel really long - I empathize! BTW I'm putting you in my links cuz I check in here often :-)

Tonya said...

What a cute story! Funny how God planned that seed of being "good friends" as I would bet he is your best friend now!?

*katie said...

I love hearing how people met. I can't wait to hear more about the "good friend" you made:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails