Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cakes

When I was working on the kids latest birthday post, I was going through lots of photos. I ended up looking at alot of their previous birthdays, and seeing the variety of cakes that I have made for them over the years. I thought I would share with you my 'sucesses' and 'failures'.

When Caden turned 2 we had a 'duck' party. This was a bath tub...the center had blue jello. The kids got a kick out of it.
This was for Caden's 3rd Birthday...Didn't quite turn out how I would have liked. It was supposed to be a Firetruck. :) Atleast Caden didn't realize how bad aweful it looked!
Sydney's First Birthday and also my first attempt with fondant. I was really happy with the results.
This was the year Caden turned 4 & Sydney turned 2...I was lazy and made only one cake.
This turned out okay...I ended up running out of time, and wasn't able to frost it until during the party! Considering how crazy the day was...I was pleasantly surprised.
This was the latest cake. I used a Wilton cake pan. Sydney loved this one & I was really happy at how well it turned out.

Do you make or buy your kids cakes? If you make them...I would love to see some pictures. Does anyone know of a good cake decorating class? I would love to learn more!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

14 people know I LOVE comments!:

Crazymamaof6 said...

you should totally do the class at Michael's. you'd love it. my sister is friends with the guy that taught theirs. i'll find out which one. and let you know.

tiki_lady said...

nice! i like to decorate cakes too. I used to do it all the time for birthdays. I did a wedding cake and a grooms cake as well.
I like working with fondant but I do NOT like how it tastes.

Heather said...

I think Michael's has great classes, you can even check out the community colleges when they do non-credit classes. I think your cakes look great, especially love the creativity that went into the duck cake, way cute!

Kim said...

WOW! You have done an awesome job on all of them. I did a cake decorating class when I was pregnant with Courtney and I just learned that I just don't have that talent in me. I will make the cake and frost it like normal and if they are lucky I will try to write on it. Great Job!

Rosie said...

I usually (almost always) buy a cake. I would love to be a creative fun Mom that makes impressive cakes. I am not. I hope that I will be a fun grandma!

Your cakes are great--just keep it up!

I am trying to find different ways to be fun-life is so busy that I sometimes just don't enjoy enough.

Holly Janeen said...

woah! looks like you are already a pro and dont need any advice from me!! :)
in fact... i think my kids are gunna get plain old boring square cakes!... *sigh* can you give me "good mom" lessons??

Anonymous said...

wow, all of those were ridiculously fantastic. I've tried to make cute cakes, but nothing compares to that ladybug. You better watch out, people are going to be calling you to make their kids next bday cake.

Tonya said...

great cakes!

Devan and Robyn said...

I'm impressed at the effort! My kids really enjoy the icecream cakes from 31 flavors... or at least I do! Your cakes look great!

Frolicking Night Owl said...

I took at least 4 classes at Michaels ... or I guess I should say 4 levels cause it seems like each level lasts at least a month. My sisters and I did that together ... tons of fun. It seems like after you take all 4 levels, there are other classes you can take as well where you'd focus on one thing ... like fondant, for example. It's been a long time since I took them ... probably 8-ish years, so I'm kinda hazy on the details. I did them at Gilbert & Baseline.

Mandy said...

I love the bath tub cake! I made Kimball's one year old cake. It was Tigger's face. I found a picture online, then took it to a copy store and blew it up to the size that I wanted. I put it over the cake and used toothpicks through the paper to create the outlines which I frosted the different colors. I colored coconut for the hair and used a snowball for the nose. It turned out pretty cute. Check out the March archive on my blog for pictures!

Rhiannon said...

I love to decorate cakes too. My don't always turn out the greatest but kids like it. I hope that it's one of those skills I perfect in the coming years. I would love to decorate cakes for a living. Wouldn't that be fun?

Amy Leininger said...

I'm impressed with your cake making skills! I think they all looked really great! The kids are cute, too!

Don and Amy Bennion said...

Do you mean to tell me you frosted that Ariel cake? That's beyond amazing. All of the cakes look so good. Have you already taken a cake decorating class?

Amy

Related Posts with Thumbnails