Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tell Me Your Stories

I know this is early, but I need to do some planning....Christmas is going to come much faster than I think!

One of the tradition's that I wanted to start with my kids this year is reading a Christmas Book every night before they go to bed. I want to get 23 different books that I will wrap, and then they will choose one to open each night. The nice thing about this is that it will also serve as a 'countdown' to Christmas.

The problem now lies in finding 23 GOOD Christmas books that will be interesting to my little kiddos. This is where I am asking for your help. You know how some of the best recipes are ones that people give you and not one found in a recipe book. I think the same concept applies with children's books. I don't just want to peruse the Amazon search of Children's books, and then buy one that is a dud!

I want to get some really good stories that my kids will love and look forward to reading year after year. So here is the deal.... I will give you until Wednesday, October 29.

  1. Dig your brain, closet, bookshelf, or whatever to find some of your most favorite Christmas books.
  2. Then I want you to post it on your blog. Tell me what the story is about, and why you love it!
  3. I will do the same & also post a "Mister Linky" so come back here and "link" up so we can all share our favorite stories!
If you don't want to do a post, but still have a great book...just leave me a comment! I need all the ideas I can get!

Can't wait to see what you have come up with next Wednesday!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

8 people know I LOVE comments!:

tammy said...

We do that tradition too. Most of my Christmas books are in my Christmas stuff in the garage, but one that comes to mind is Snowmen at Night. I will think of some others. I only buy books that I will enjoy reading too. Oh another one is The Night Before The Night Before Christmas. It's funny and cute.

Rosie said...

We did this tradition once. I found that I didn't like them wrapped. My children love to reread all the books. So I decided to just have my Christmas basket out. Whenever they wanted a story we would pick from the basket. We would try and read one new one everynight. I have also tried to purchase a few lovely new books every year. Just a thought for you.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

I love the story of the 3 Trees. I think you can find it at Desert Book. It is one of my all time favorites.

Jim and Brooke said...

I cann't remember the title, and it is packed away, but my favorite is about a family who has a tradition of doing secret service for eachother and they put straw in a manger for the baby Jesus. I think it is called Last Straw, or something like that. Our family has done that tradition every year while growing up, and last year my Mom found a new illustrated book of the same story and bought it for all of her kids. If you are interested, I can find it and let you know the title. It is a fabulous inspiration and tear jerker!

Jen said...

We do the Night before Christmas and then a couple years ago my sil sent each family "How Murray saved Christmas"

http://www.amazon.com/Murray-Saved-Christmas-Mike-Reiss/dp/0843176105

It has been added to our books, we love it and it was a great gift idea for the families.

Ken_and_Becky said...

Polar Express is always a great classic :) That's Sammy's first Christmas book and it came with a little christmas bell to go along with the story.

Another fun one is the story of the Christmas Spider - one my Mom told to us on Christmas Eve. And we had a little puffball spider with google eyes and pipecleaner legs, hehe.

H said...

I posted a long ole list for you Crystal :)

Anonymous said...

The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell. My Dad always read it on Christmas Eve, and he'd cry (and he's not the crying type...)

The classic: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss

We always read "Cranberry Thanksgiving" at Thanksgiving time. There's another story, "Cranberry Christmas" by Wende Devlin. Maybe that's worth a shot...?

Related Posts with Thumbnails