Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Books

Christmas is one of my most favorite times of year. It is always filled with lots of gatherings, and many opportunities to celebrate together as a family. This year I want to establish more traditions that my children can look forward to each year. Last week I asked you all to "Tell me your stories." Some of you have already shared your favorites in the comments....Thanks! Here are a few of mine. The Tale of Three Trees (also one of Lindsey's fav): I came across this book a few years ago. It tells of 3 trees who all aspire to be something great only to be cut down, and used in a way they think are less than "great"...yet in the end their purpose is more remarkable than they could imagine. I don't think I have ever gotten through this one without tearing up.

Punchinello & the Most Marvelous Gift by Max Lucado: This is a sequel to the original "You are Special" (which is probably more my favorite), but it has a "Christmas" theme. Everyone in the town of Wemmicksville are preparing for "Maker Day," and all are trying to 'out do' the other with what they think is the best gift. It teaches a great lesson about giving, and where our 'focus' should be. (I actually found out that they have made this series of books into DVD's! I am going to have to look into that!)

Christmas Oranges by Linda Bethers: "This illustrated gift book for all ages tells the classic story of the "Christmas Oranges," in which a young orphan girl named Rose discovers the spirit of generosity that lies at the heart of the holiday. When Rose is eight years old, an epidemic forces the closing of her beloved Greenwoods Orphanage, and she is shipped to Irongates, an austere, loveless institution run with Dickensian cruelty. Headmaster Crampton punishes Rose severely for a tiny infraction, decreeing that she miss the special treat of an orange on Christmas morning. How the other children circumvent his instructions to safeguard a glorious Christmas for Rose is the sweet message of this story, which is beautifully illustrated by Ben Sowards." Growing up we always had an orange in our stocking so when I found this book I thought it was a perfect addition to my collection.

A few more classics
The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell
How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess
The Night Before Christmas by Clement C Moore (I have my eye on the Illustrated version by Mary Engelbriet)

Now if you have written a post about your favorites just click on the "Mister Linky" below, and add your link so we can visit each other!


Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

11 people know I LOVE comments!:

Strong Family - said...

We have one that I bought called Jacob's Gift. It's about a boy who wants to be a carpenter and he ends up making the manger that the baby Jesus sleeps in. I bought it for my son Jacob and he loves it. :-)

Patrice said...

I've read all three that you recommended and they really are terrific. We love giving books to our kids for Christmas!

KellyAnn said...

Two other books that we love are, Mr. Finnegan's Giving Chest by Dan Farr. It is wonderful.

Another is A Candle in the Windo by Michele Ashman Bell.

I love these two as much as Christmas Oranges.

You will have to see what you think.

KellyAnn said...

p.s., Another one that we also love is The Littlest Angel that you listed. That has been a tradition in our family since I can remember to read that story on Christmas Eve. I love your idea about a book a day.

Emy5 said...

I have read a few of those too. I will have to check out your fave. Thanks!

Explore & Grow said...

Great selection of books! You've got me wanting to read now...

Rachael said...

hey crystal i tagged u on my blog and it said to post a comment on yer blog saying that i tagged u so ya

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

I ♥ Jacob's Gift...it's an oldie (and hard to find) but it's my absolute fav!!!!

Unknown said...

I love the story of the three trees. And the littest angel is one of my faves too!

kemra said...

We should get together! It is always fun to see you guys, and we haven't seen you in FOREVER!!!

I hope you guys are doing well!

Teen Dating - Ourteennetwork.com said...

Great story just saying hi!

Related Posts with Thumbnails