Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dreams vs. Reality

There are so many times in my life where I envision things happening a certain way...then reality sets in, and it is far from the dream.  Today was one of those days.

Dream:

  •  They wake up get dressed, 
  • eat a wholesome breakfast, 
  • take 'first day of school pictures and climb into the car to head to school. 
  • The excitement is the air.  We are all happy, and can't wait to get there. 
  • I get there with plenty of time for Sydney to play on the playground, and then get in line with her class so I can take some pictures.  
  • I am sad to send off 3 kids for the day (except only a few hours for Thomas)

Reality:
  • Kids wake up at 6:15 am.  They get dressed with out complaint (check).
  • Syd refuses to eat breakfast because she just wants to leave (umm, school doesn't start until 9am).  Thomas tries to stuff his backpack with every snack possible, and then gets upset because he can't keep them.  Try reasoning with a 3 year old...its awesome.  Sydney and Thomas end up eating cheese and crackers for breakfast. 
  • Get lunches packed, and ready to go.  
  • Tell Caden to get his water bottle, and fill it up about 50 times.  
  • Run around the house like a chicken trying to get last minute supplies together.  
  • Get to do Sydney's hair while she cries the whole time because she thinks I am going to rip her hair out.  She goes back and forth from wanting me to do it or just leave it down. 
  • Realize I am running out of time.  Try to get a few pictures of the kids before they leave....somewhat successful.  
  • Try to shove the kids out the door, and in the car so we aren't late. Somehow even though they woke up 2 hours ago...they still aren't really ready.
  • I start the car, and Caden starts freaking out because he doesn't have his water bottle!  SERIOUSLY!  I told him a million times to go get it, and he tries to tell me he ran out of time! HA!  Sorry...no water bottle today buddy!
  • Get to the school, and of course it is a zoo.  No where to park so I end up parking in a ditch across the street, and about a block down the road. 
  • Get out of the car just in time to hear the first bell ring.  
  • Try to herd 3 kids, and carry my baby fast enough to get to the school.  Almost there when the second bell rings.  
  • Finally get there in time to take a picture with Cousin Dylan...but while doing that...Sydney's class is already lined up, and went inside without her.  So I have to take her to her class late.  
  • Atleast I get some pictures. 
  • I am actually relieved this day is over, and glad they are in school....Not that I don't love my kids, but this is good for both of us.
The whole day I felt like I was rushing, and I hate that feeling!  I pictured a much calmer happier day.  It was a happy, but a rushed happy...and I don't like it.  I am hoping that we can get a better routine so that things don't always feel so rushed. 

The kids came home and had great things to report.  They love their teachers!  Syd told me all about a scavenger hunt she got to go on while exploring the school.  Caden is excited because his teacher lets them get 'treats'.  Thomas just loved being with Dylan. 

Although it was far from my 'dream'...in the end everything worked out, and the day was a success.  Yay for the first day of school!

(yes, Syd was in half-day kinder last year, but since she has a late birthday (Sept. 29) we decided to put her in full day here...I want her to be the oldest not the youngest in her class)


Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

4 people know I LOVE comments!:

Jody said...

Oh Crystal! I was totally laughing at that post! I guess because I can now see your house in that state...maybe cuz I know your kids a little better? And cuz I've done that routine so many times, the dream version & reality version. I'm sorry...talk about crazy... But are they liking school so far? Hope so. They do look dang cute in your pictures. :)

(btw, you could have dropped off Grayson here if you wanted... ;)

Tonya said...

Wow they start school early! And my youngest is the same and I'm thinking of holding her back too. She has a Sept 14th birthday.

Lesley Wright said...

That is so funny!!! I was seriously laughing so hard. So true that everything goes better in your mind than in reality. I hope that you have a routine now.

tammy said...

I've learned to set my dream expectations really low ; )

They all look cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails