Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Switched at Birth

I love Netflix.  I know there has been alot of controversy as of late because they have raised their prices, but I still love them.  We had actually recently changed to just unlimited streaming because that was all we really used...so all their new crap hasn't affected us yet. 

Anyhoo...one of the reasons why I like it so much is the ability to watch TV series without all of the dumb commercials.  Of course they don't have every single show, but I found some really fun shows this way. Some of our favorites have been Prison Break and Veronica Mars (although Veronica Mars is no longer offered in instant play)


They recently added the show Switched at Birth. I read the premise to the show, and was immediately intrigued... 
Switched at Birth, a one-hour scripted drama, tells the story of two teenage girls who discover they were accidentally switched as newborns in the hospital. Bay Kennish grew up in a wealthy family with two parents and a brother, while Daphne Vasquez, who lost her hearing at an early age due to a case of meningitis, grew up with a single mother in a working-class neighborhood. Things come to a dramatic head when both families meet and struggle to learn how to live together for the sake of the girls.

I have now watched it....and wow...I love it.  It is great on so many levels. 

As a mother, it has made me think about how I would handle things if I was put in that type of situation. Part of me would have a hard time because I could not imagine realizing that for the past 16 years I raised someone elses child (now...this is different from adoption...which I am all for!  This mother carried and gave birth to a baby, and then thought she brought home her biological child). I would hope that I would be able to tell if they brought me a different baby.

Then as a child, it is interesting to see how each girl handles the news.  It addresses the whole...what would my life had been like if?  The girls come from such diverse backgrounds, and their lives would have been totally different. 

I love how they try to work together to allow the girls to get to know their biological parent, yet still keep their relationships intact. I would like to think that I would be like Bay's mother, and feel like I gained another daughter....I mean how can you not love the daughter you raised, and the daughter that you may not know, but is your biological child. They struggle to figure things out, but it is so touching in many ways.

I am also fascinated with the deaf aspect of the show.  It is so cool to understand a little bit more the struggles that they can face.  And I love watching people sign. 

My mind has been swirling with lots of thought on the show.

Have any of you watched the show??  If you haven't, and have Netflix...add it to your queue, watch it, and then come and discuss!  I now can't wait for the next season.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

11 people know I LOVE comments!:

Casey said...

I love that show. :) I wish there was more episodes. But the whole concept was done so well. :)

Tonya said...

I absolutely adore that show. Can't wait for the new season to start!!! I think they have kept it pretty classy for the most part too.

Lindsay said...

OH MY GOSH! I love switched at birth too!!! It has been getting me through the void that secret life of the american teenager left me with. haha! I can't wait for the new season. I am so glad it's on netflix!!

Amanda said...

I just watched all 10 episodes since you posted this. Very addicting! Loved it.

dailylinkbuilding said...

the show was very good i always enjoy it

Land for sale said...

Very well written article. It will be supportive to anyone who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work – for sure

i will check out more posts.
Land For Sale

seo service said...

The accepted apple has been charted, plotted, and endlessly measured. Or has it? A groundbreaking mapping address is alteration the way we see the planet.

 jons said...

That is so funny! I have to do the same thing with my kids, and with their dad! I usually end up hiding them in places I don't think they'll look. cooking recipe

 jons said...

So cute! Looks like something my boys would do. :-)
ipad

jimi said...

Very well written article. It will be supportive to anyone who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work – for sure
Money exchange

jimi said...

love that show. :) I wish there was more episodes. But the whole concept was done so well. :)touch,type

Related Posts with Thumbnails