Saturday, January 5, 2008

Aspirations for 2008

When I think of the word "resolution" it seems so definite. In fact, I looked it up in the dictionary and it said "firm or unwavering adherence to one's purpose." It is just me, or is that why I think that so many resolutions fall short? My life changes daily. The things that I experience each day, change my thinking of things, and through out the year I need to re-evaluate how things are progressing. Resolutions are hard to keep because life it self involves so much change - how can you be firm or unwavering!? That is why I would like to use the word "Aspiration" instead. Webster defines it as "something that one hopes or intends to accomplish"...or in other words...a goal. I may not achieve every one, but at least I can work on trying to become a better person.

Many people choose a word that they live by through out the year. After I wrote down many of the things that I want to accomplish the word that came to me was
I think so many reasons why many of my goals fall short is because I have not planned properly. It is amazing how smoothly things go when I have planned ahead and prepared things before I actually want to accomplish them. So this year I hope to be a better planner in order to execute the desires of my heart.

With that in mind, I still want to post some specific things that I would like to accomplish throughout this year. They may end up changing, but at least this is a start!

  • Create a more structured environment for my kids. Plan activities ahead, and spend more quality time with them. I feel like so many times I just let the day happen. I want to be a better mother to my children. I think that by developing better routines it will give them the safety and security they need to flourish.
  • Have FHE (Family Home Evening) each week, and also daily scripture study, and prayer. I really have to admit that we have slacked alot in this area. We do pretty good with prayer, but lack in the other areas. I want to do better at planning meaningful evenings where we can teach our children spiritual things, but also have fun as a family unit.
  • Be a more positive and encouraging wife. Sometimes I think that I can be negative about alot of things when it comes to Shawn. I really love him with everything I have, but sometimes I don't think that I show it the best that I can. I want to be more proactive about planning date nights, and things that can help strengthen our relationship. Lets face it...kids take alot out of me...but my husband needs me too.
  • Work on building a better year supply. Our church recommends storing a year supply of food. We have the storage capacity to do it, but I have never really looked into how much we really need to sustain our family. This year I want to work on getting the things that we need to be prepared.
  • Purge! I tend to be a pack rat. I plan this year to try to purge alot of the stuff laying around our house. The great thing about moving is that it forces you to purge. We have lived in our house for almost 5 years now, and have no plans on moving. We have accumulated alot of things that I really should just get rid of.
  • Work on the storage room 15 minutes a day. For those of you that have been reading my blog for awhile, you may remember when I tried to defeat this task. I failed miserably! That room is very overwhelming, but it needs to get under control. If I can just spend 15 minutes in there everyday... I should be able to get it to the organized room that I dream it to be.

So there they are. I hope to be a much better planner this year and not a procrastinator. I tend to do the latter. I hate it, but I am a major procrastinator. I look forward to this new year, and aspire to achieve great things. Happy New Year to all of you! 2008 is going to ROCK!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

4 people know I LOVE comments!:

Within These Walls said...

They all sound like great aspirations! As far as food storage goes, our ward is focusing on a 3 month supply of the foods we eat since that is the new recommendation from the church. 3 months seems a lot more doable and I'm excited about working toward that goal. Good luck I'm sure you will achieve many good things in 2008!

Unknown said...

That's a great list! I decided to break my yearly goals into monthly goals, which seems more manageable to me. Good luck to you!

Rhiannon said...

Those sound like good aspirations. I wouldn't get to hard yourself though. I try to work on weekly or daily things. I know I have yearly and monthly too but sometimes it is hard to comperhend that much.

sheri said...

That flylady.net is the answer to just about everything...baby steps!
Baby steps with food storage, baby steps in your goals for anything. You've got the idea Crystal, and an inspiration to us all! Good luck! Love you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails