Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #3 - Unfinished Projects

I have a confession. I am a procrastinator. I don’t know why, but I am. I always seem to leave projects for the last second. I do my best work under pressure. Because of this lovely quality, I have started many projects, and they have been left in the dust. I mean, why finish something if no one is pushing you to, right!? This actually is something I hate, and would like to change it. Therefore, for my Thursday Thirteen, I will list 13 projects that I have started or want to accomplish by the end of the year.


1. Sydney’s quilt: I found the root of the design from a quilt book, and then modified it to my liking. I was so excited. I bought all the material, cut it out, and was ready to pounce! I was also pregnant with her. Now it has been almost 2 years and it sits in a box unfinished.

2. Room decorations: Years ago I bought some letters for Caden and Sydney. You know the ones that you can paint, and then hang in the room. They are supposed to make it look real cute or something. They sit in closet, and I think about them time to time. I also had a Robbie make a shelf that looks like a ladder and frame some pictures for Caden’s Fireman room that I have yet to hang! What is wrong with me!

3. Storage Room: I even had a “deadline” with this one. I did pretty good working on it for a while, but then life caught up with me and it still needs work. I really wish that I would have accomplished Laura’s 30 day Organizational Challenge. I think I am on the 365 day Challenge.

4. Kitchen Cabinets: Now this is a project that I haven’t started yet. Every time I am in the kitchen my mind starts imagining how I want to rearrange things. I would like to change where I store some of my dishes, and dejunk the ones that I don’t really use.

5. File Boxes: A few years ago we bought a pack of those cardboard file boxes. I thought that if I were able to “organize” our keepsakes, it would help motivate me to do some scrapbooking. Nope…instead they sit “organized” in our closet. Now I want to get a flatbed scanner. Atleast then I could scan all our crap in and it can sit on our computer, and not take up space in our office. Besides, I am really into the digital scrapbooking now.

6. Sorting Clothes: If you have kids, you know how fast they grow out of their clothes. I try to sort through, and store the ones that they have grown out of. I haven’t done it in months. Instead I stare at them every time I put away their clean laundry. I am reminded that this needs to be done when we come home after the kids have been babysat and find my kids in clothes that are 3 times too small.

7. Garage: Now this one isn’t too bad, but it bugs me every day when I leave the house. The garage itself doesn’t have too much junk. We are able to park both cars in it. The part that bothers me is the immediate ledge…maybe I should call it the porch of the garage. The part that greets you when you walk out the door. We have two trash bins. One for recycle, and the other for trash that we don’t want to smell all day (dirty diapers). It is also the landing spot for our shoes, and a lot of other things that don’t quite make it to their destination. I want to clean it, but haven’t.

8. 100 Things I Love About Shawn: He will probably laugh when he reads this. I can’t even remember how long ago I did it. It was for some special occasion…birthday, Father’s Day, anniversary….I can’t even remember. I typed out 100 things that I loved about Shawn. My plan was to make a little collage and put it in a frame. I had seen it done before, and it was soo cute. I got as far as printing my loves, and told him that I was going to finish it for him soon. Sorry, hun…still not done. I hope you still love me.

9. Painting: This is something that I haven’t started, but want done. We have lived in our house for 4 years, and our walls are still white as the clouds in the sky. We have painted Caden, Sydney, and the office rooms…but that is it. I dream about having beautiful walls that make my house look great. In my mind I am a fabulous decorator, yet my walls are still a blank canvas.

10. My closet: Even I need to go through my clothes. I have so many that I don’t wear anymore either because they don’t fit, have stains, or are out of style. I think I have been afraid to do it for fear that I will be left with one shirt to wear daily. Now that Shawn has given me $200 to spend on clothes, I should be able to get rid of the ones that I don’t really wear anyway.

11. The cradle: When I was pregnant with Sydney, Shawn’s mom found a cradle at the local thrift store. It is really cute, but needs some work done to it for it to be in working condition. I fully intended doing the work before Sydney was born. Instead, we ended up just having the cradle on the floor instead in its base (the part that needed fixing). Now that I am pregnant again…I would like to repair it before the next one comes.

12. Curtain’s for Caden: Before Sydney was born we moved Caden out of the nursery and into his own room. I hadn’t made curtains for his room yet so I took the ones from the nursery and hung them in his room. I have been meaning to go down to the fabric store to get some fabric to make his curtains, but haven’t. Sydney has been waking up really early, and it would be nice to get her curtains back to darken her room a bit.

13. A New Blog: I am in charge of running a playgroup at my church. I have been trying to set up a blog so that we all have a central place to go for information. I want to be able to post our current activities as well as things that they can do with their children. I reserved the blog a while ago, and fiddled with it for a bit, but it still sits unfinished.

Okay, thinking & writing these things down has made me somewhat depressed! Man, I am such a flake! It really made me realize that I haven’t got a whole lot done since Sydney was born. I am sure it isn’t totally true, but it sure seems like it. Now that I have it in writing…I am that more motivated to work on them. If I have a hard time accomplishing these things with two kiddo’s, what am I going to do with three!? I don’t know how long it will take me but hopefully I will be able to cross them all of by the end of the year! I am off to start!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

10 people know I LOVE comments!:

Anonymous said...

There are piles of clothes in the girls room I need to sort through. All the baby clothes that don't fit, and all the toddler clothes to put away. Maybe I'll spend time on that today.

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Qtpies7 said...

What fun! My mom and I are procrastinators, too. My mom did a TT on throwing things away to clean!
bringyourowncheese.blogspot dot com.

Kate said...

I can completely relate. I am Princess Procrastinator, too! Sorting the clothes is definitely a downfall with me...I still have things in my closet from high school! Sigh...

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

I have a crocheted afghan for my baby. It's half done. That one is ten now. You're not alone :)

Lei said...

I certainly have more than 13 on my list! Good luck plugging away! :)

Scribbit said...

You've got your work cut out for you. And CONGRATULATIONS by the way!!!

Bowman Family said...

Oh Crystal... sounds soooooo familiar! You are a wonderful mom. Don't get discouraged. Just take one thing at a time or you will be stuck with the same list years from now! Good luck. I am going to go face something on my list now!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I might just have to steal this idea for a future Thursday Thirteen for myself :) !!

Tonya said...

I started reading your list of things to do and I was thinking to myself she has to be pregnant and then I look at the post below and sure enough YOU ARE!!! That is so exciting. When are you due? For some reason I wasn't able to find you for awhile but you are now bookmarked and in my bloglines...thanks for that tip!

KatieJ said...

I think we have a lot in common- I have so many started projects, or things I shopped for, and haven't even started... I think the way to do it is tackle one, and focus all your energy on it until it's done, and then move to the next. I should do a list like this... maybe later :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails