Friday, April 20, 2007

Babyproofing Your Marriage

Back in February, lovely Kailani over at An Island Life informed us that Harper Collins Publishing company was giving out free books for review. I hopped on over and requested Babyproofing Your Marriage from Felicia. It came while I was on my cruise so I wasn't able to read it right away, and with my kids the only time I get to read is while I am working out at the gym. So it took a while to get through this one, but I am finally finished and ready to give my input on this one.

Initially I was taken back because within the first few pages there was profanity. I know that there are people out there that use it on a regular basis. I am not one of them. I personally think that there are better words that can be used to express how you are feeling. I guess that these authors thought the context was appropriate, but I didn't really care for them.

As I looked past my first impression, I actually found the book rather entertaining. These group of girls made up alot of their own terms for different things that new parents experience. One of my favorites was

"The Mommy Chip: A hardwired circuit that is activated when women become mothers. Once trigger, this chip hums 24/7 and cannot be turned off. The chip drives, what men refer to as, crazy Mom behavior. It contains a Worst Case Scenario Program that feeds a mother's fears (Let me just make sure the baby is breathing) and is plugged into a Guilt Circuit that makes her constantly question whether or not she is doing enough for her kids."

That is just a glimpse of some of the humor that they have when talking about what happens when children come into your life. Although I didn't agree with some of the ideas (The Five Minute Fix) they did a great job at taking a lighthearted look at situations that we can encounter.

If someone is struggling in a marriage with kids, I don't know if this book would be able to give them all the answers. I think it is more of an entertaining way to look at things. They made me laugh, and it was interesting to see things from a different perspective. They had interviewed hundreds of mom's & dad's and had quotes from them spattered through out the book. I guess in a nice way it helped you feel not so alone when it came to certain situations... to know it isn't just you!

I think when it comes down to it...marriage takes work. There is always give and take, and you have to be willing to try your hardest. It isn't all about how much sex you are getting. It is about loving your partner no matter what. Giving them the benefit of the doubt and working together as a team.

So in the end, if you want to read an entertaining book, that gives you some tips along the way...this book is for you!

I will be giving away my copy of the book so if you would like to win the copy just leave a comment, and let me know if you want to be included in the drawing. There aren't many people who read my blog so you will have a fighting chance. If you post about it on your blog I will put your name in twice. I will draw the lucky winner next Friday, April 27. Good Luck!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

11 people know I LOVE comments!:

An Ordinary Mom said...

I have always wondered what this book was about and whether or not it was any good. Seems like it got mixed reviews ... you can still enter me in the drawing, though :) !!

Michelle said...

I've seen this book somewhere else recently and the title caught my eye - sounds like it would be an interesting read! I agree about the profanity though - there are plenty of other words in the dictionary one could use instead!

I'll go add this to my 'around blogland' post where I've listed other contests going on.

Amber said...

Sounds interesting. I haven't read in a long time. Add me to the drawing!

Unknown said...

Woo-hoo! I am always up for a free book :-)

Kailani said...

It was a pretty enlightening book. If you go their website they're giving away more books for Spring. I just 2 more!

Kailani
An Island Life

Marquita said...

Hi Crystal! I was just checking out your blog. I've always wondered what this book was about too. Sounds interesting. By the way, how have you been?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an entertaing book.Count me in for the drawing.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it would be something that would grab my interst. Put me in for the drawing also.

Miss Notesy said...

Please enter me in too! I'll mention you in my blog too. :-)

mamashine said...

Please enter me in too! Sounds interesting.

Jessica said...

Count me in! Sounds like a good read! I'm over from the Wooden Porch. Nice to "meet" you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails