Tuesday, June 5, 2007

How popular was your name?

I ended up on the Social Security Website the other day, and was looking at the most popular baby names of the past year. I noticed another box on that page that said "Popular Birth Names by Year". This feature allows you to choose a year, and also gives you the option to see how many births there were for up to the top 1000 names during any particular year. So the curiosity got the best of me and this is what I found.

  • The year I was born there were 13,467 other Crystal's born (my name was 18 on the list!)
  • The year Shawn was born there were 9,272 other Shawn's - He was #39
  • In 2003 there were 3,628 Caden's born into the U.S. (His rank was #111, but I swear all other Caden's were born around me because they are everywhere! I thought I was being original!)
  • In 2005 there were 7,352 Sydney's (her rank was #30)

To think that there are that many Crystal's that are the same age as me...blows me away! It is not a very common name these days. I just thought this was cool because it actually had the numbers & rank of each name. It really gave me an insight of how "unique" our names were when we were born. Let me know if you try it out! I find it rather interesting.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

1 people know I LOVE comments!:

Unknown said...

LOL! There were over 26,000 Melissa's in 1977. It ranked number 2, jut under Jennifer (which is my sister's name). My mom wasn't very creative.

Related Posts with Thumbnails