Friday, June 8, 2007

Last Minute Weddings

Last Friday (June 1st) I got a call from my mother. She was so excited because my oldest brother, Danny, had decided that he wanted to get married to Christal (his currently pregnant girlfriend.) I have to say that I was excited for him. He has had a pretty rough life due to choices that he has made. Over the past few years things have gotten better for him. I was/am glad that he found someone that he can be happy with. The next part is what got to me. Here is the conversation that followed.


Mom: They went and got their marriage license, and they want to get married as soon as possible....before the baby is born

Me: Uhh...before the baby is born? She is due on the 12th of June! That is less than two weeks away! When are they wanting to get married?

Mom: Well...I don't know...tommorrow?

Me: Are you kidding me? (I seriously thought she was joking) Cathy won't be able to be there because she is on bedrest, and Nancy is still on the cruise until next Wednesday.

Mom: Yeah, that is true...I will have to talk to Danny about that. The other thing we wanted to know if we could have it at your or Nancy's house. It is going to be a small wedding...they don't want anything big.

Me: (At this point...I really didn't know what to say.) Nancy probably wouldn't want to have it at her house giving that she will just be back from vacation. So I guess we can do it here.

This conversation went on for a while. I don't know why I even agreed to have it at my house. They later decided that they wanted to get married on Friday, June 9 @ 4:30 PM. This past week I have spent alot of time being very frustrated. My mom was very hurt because my sisters and I had alot of stuff to say about what we thought about the whole situation.

This was a very tough thing for me to deal with. You see, my brother and I don't really get along that well. He made my childhood miserable. So many of the choices that he made in his life has effected us greatly. I love him because he is my brother, but there are things about him that I just don't get. I don't know why I even agreed to let them have it at my house. If they had planned a month ago to get married 5 days before their baby is due...great...fine..(I would still think it was crazy) but atleast we could all plan for it! I just thought it was inconsiderate to do something so fast. Cathy still wasn't able to come because of her condition (although she is home now, and getting better! Yippee) and my Aunt Lori wasn't even called until 2 hours before the "wedding." Nancy's husband couldn't come because he didn't have time to request to get off early.

I also didn't understand what the big rush was. My parents were so "pleased" because they were wanting to get married before the baby was born. "They are trying to do the right thing." I think it is great that they are wanting to get married, but why did they have to rush things....besides they have had 9 months to figure this out! I guess I should be more understanding, but I just didn't get it!

I should and am trying to let this all go, but it sure irked me...and I am having a hard time. In the end, everything worked out okay. My mom came over in the morning, and helped me clean my house. They got married, and then we had a family potluck. I think they were happy with it...so I guess that is all that matters. Caden took some pictures of the ceremony...so sorry they are not the best.

How do you think you would have reacted if someone wanted to have a "small wedding" (which nothing that involves my family is ever really small) at your house in a weeks notice?

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

3 people know I LOVE comments!:

Anonymous said...

hi crystal: i would forgive, yes, but i know i also especially initially would've been ticked at the absolute short notice, especially for a sibling who you are not even close to. just my two-cents. you made a great point, too. why rush now? there was plenty of time to plan things before seconds before the baby was born. it's not like pregnancy lasts only 2 wks, eh?

so, since you were feeling this way, i am glad that my happy good mail arrived during the weekend at the perfect time to bring you a little smile to your weekend.

~blessings to you and the kiddos tonight, kathleen :)

ps. i totally love how you posted tonight about winning runner up in the contest. i loved seeing the pictures :)

An Ordinary Mom said...

I think I would have been very grumpy at the whole matter, especially if it was for someone who I had a difficult time getting along with. However, with that said I think I would also pray really hard to understand the atonement and forgiveness better. I am so sorry you are having to deal with so much. I hope you find some peace in your life!

K said...

Crystal - Caden was the photographer!!! That is hilarious!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails