Friday, June 29, 2007

Swim Lessons- Take 2

I signed up for another session of swim lessons down at the local swimming pool. I was excited because Kent was going to be taking them with Caden. I thought it would help Caden want to participate better.

The first day turned out disastrous. I should have known it would because I was running late. I knew that should have implemented Melissa’s 20 minute rule sooner. We got there, and I tried to coax Caden into the pool. The events that followed were…well lets just say that it involved a lot of screaming, hitting (I was not hitting), crying, and ultimately ended with us leaving without attending the lesson.

The next day I tried to prep Caden a little more. Our conversation went like this.

Me: Okay Caden, what happens if you don’t get into the pool?

Caden: You will take my hand and we will go home.

Me: What happens if you go to class, and listen to what the teachers tell you to do?

Caden: I get to pick a prize from the box (yes, I bribe my children with a “surprise” box), and then I will get to play with Kent afterwards.

We went over this a couple of times (or should I say one hundred!) so that he would understand the consequences. I made sure we were a little bit early, and things went much more smoothly. With Caden being the stubborn child he is, I think he wanted to make sure that I knew that he wasn’t having too much fun (even though he was!). I laughed when I saw this…my boy sure has a mind of his own.


By the end of the week, things were much better. I think he really is enjoying doing the class with Kent. I am so thankful they are such good friends.



One thing is for sure, the 20 minute rule really works! It helps me be on time, and my children (more specifically Caden) have much better time with the transition. I am trying to make it a habit, and never be late again....heres to hoping!

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

8 people know I LOVE comments!:

Unknown said...

LOL! Oh, that is Jacob ALL the way! My goodness, I think those two must have been separated at birth - hahahaha!

Rayne said...

Fantastic photos.
Caden sounds like my Katy. She's very stubborn and wants to do things her way and when she has to conform she makes sure we know it's under protest.

Staci said...

Love this story & the idea of the 20 minute rule! I'm glad Caden finally started kinda enjoying his swim lessons!:)

Phae-Jae said...

Whoo! Glad you made it through! Looks like it ended very well.

Scribbit said...

I signed the kids up for swim lessons and the next week Lillian broke her arm. I couldn't believe it when the pool guy called and offered me a refund. How nice is that? On his own he called. That NEVER happens.

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

So I am not the only one who has days like that?!?!

I TOTALLY agree with the 20 minutes rule. I just wish I always stuck to it. Things always go nuts when I am late - and I know that it is ALL my fault! I must remember my five year old does everything way too slowly esp when we are in a hurry!

Anonymous said...

My husband teases me because I am always early for everything. I think it eliminates most of the stress.

Glad to hear that Caden enjoys the swim class now. I have Girlie Girl enrolled and I always feel so sorry for the Moms who's kids don't want to go in.

Bowman Family said...

I love the pics! The boys look just like their daddys. My kids are the same way. Don't worry... you are totally normal!

Related Posts with Thumbnails