Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Keeping Sheep

There are days that are harder than others. Sometimes I wonder what keeps me going. The other day I came across this post by My Little Corner of Chaos. She had read another post by Lisa Bearnson which had this song in it. I was so touched that it brought me to tears. I have always taken the responsibility of being a mother seriously, but this gave me such a deeper perspective. So turn up the volume, grab a tissue, and be touched by this powerful song by Lynne Perry Christofferson!

Keeping Sheep
I have a little flock of sheep
And they are mine to tend and keep.
And I must guard them every day
For little lambs, when left alone,
Will lose their way.

So many voices say to me,
A sheep fold is no place to be.
Your time in there is dull and slow,
And lambs leave very little room
For you to grow.

Chorus:
So if I ever start to stray,
Deceived by thought of green pastures,
Remind me, Lord, that keeping sheep
Will lead to happier ever-afters.
Will lead to happier ever-afters.

Oh, surely there will come a day
When all the lambs have left my side,
And I am free to roam about,
And go exploring other meadows,
Green and wide.

Yet something whispers in my heart
That when my sheep have left this pen
I'll long to stoke their little heads,
To draw them close to me
And have them young again.

Repeat Chorus
So while they still are in my care
I pray that I will clearly see
These little lambs within my fold
Are tender gifts the Master Shepherd
Has given me.

This song helps me realize how precious the moments can be in my child's life. How important it is for me to guide and direct them. I have been given such a wonderful, beautiful gift, and huge responsibility. I hope and pray that I can raise my children in such a way that I can repay my Savior for the blessing of being able to "tend His sheep."

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

3 people know I LOVE comments!:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Beautiful song, beautiful lyrics.

These little lambs we are tending really are so precious. I am grateful every day to my Father in Heaven that He has allowed me the privilege to raise them and teach them. That doesn't mean, though, that I always have a cheery heart. Quite often I get frustrated and grumpy, but my little lambs are teaching me more about being like Christ than any career path I could ever have chosen!

Rosie said...

I am so glad that you were touched by this song! I loved it so much that I had to go and buy the cd! I have it on my ipod and I keep having my friends listen to it. I think it is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I am glad that you enjoyed it also.

Unknown said...

How sweet. Today, I was asked what I treasured most about being a mom. It is definitely a honor being our son's mom.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. You and your family have a terrific weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails