Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Dream Revived

Tonight I went to Michael's last orchestra concert before he graduates High School. I still can't believe that my baby brother is old enough to graduate. I have tried to get to his concerts over the years, but sometimes didn't know about them until the last moment. I made sure that I was able to go to this one, and I am glad that I did. Michael has worked really hard over the years, and has become a great musician. He is planning on going to college to get a degree in Music Compostion, with a minor in Entrepreneurship. His end goal is to own his own company designing video games, and writing the music to the video games. Michael really has grown into a great person. I am proud to say he is my brother.

As I sat there listening to the performances, I started getting caught up in my own thoughts and memories. They happened to play "Intermezzo" - a song that I had played my Junior year in Regionals. The song is absolutely beautiful. It made me want to run up there grab someones violin, and play along. Whenever I think back to my orchestra days I have so much joy. Being part of an orchestra is such a great experience. I can not begin to describe how it really makes me feel. I love to sit down along with hundreds of other musicians, and create something that is so beautiful.

When I was younger, my dream was to be able to play in an orchestra for a movie. I wanted to be able to go to said movie, and be able to say "that's me --do you hear it!" I obviously never got that far. My violin doesn't get played nearly as often as I would like. When I was sitting there at the concert, the desire came back again. It always does whenever I go. I just love playing in orchestras.

As I drove home I thought about how fulfilling it is for me, and how I don't want that part of my life to completely disappear. I don't know if I can do it right away, but eventually I want to play in an orchestra again. A few years ago I was in the community orchestra, and I might just have to do that again.

Do you have a hobby that you love that can't seem to find the time to do? What is it and do you think you will ever find time to put it back into your life?

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

5 people know I LOVE comments!:

Amber said...

I hear you. I really miss playing my violin too. Too bad I sold it when we bought our first house to buy some furniture. I might have to come relive those memories on your violin!

Rosie said...

I think that we get so overwhelmed being mothers that we forget about ourselves. There is a fine line, we all know those people that put their families in 10th place behind their own interests. However, occasionally we need to take time for things that we love. Go play for your babies!

Unknown said...

I used to play flute, once upon a time. But what I REALLY miss is singing with the Chamber Chorale.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I miss playing the piano, I miss singing in a choir, I miss ballroom dance and I miss playing competitive volleyball.

Anonymous said...

hi there: sounds like you had a beautiful time hearing that magic. i was soo blown away impressed at the music yesterday during stake conference. we met at the downtown performing arts center (anchorage alaska) and we also had guest speaker elder l.tom perry. our stake choir sounded like i have NEVER heard them sound before. like angels. just blown away impressed no kidding at how they sounded in that concert hall. i kept looking again, is the Mormon tabernacle choir really in front of my eyes. so glad i got to be there. i love how sometimes music can seemingly pierce to your very soul. i love it when music gets to me like that.

one of my favorite hobbies is to cross-stitch. to fit in time for it, i take a project with me to pretty much everywhere i go. there is so much "wait time" (i.e., lunchtime on workdays, doctor's waiting room appts, costco line, stoplights in traffic! ha) in our lives that we can actually do stuff. this is how i make time for it.

~blessings this night to ya, kathleen :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails