Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

We had alot of fun today. Holidays are always nice because we get to have Shawn around for the whole day, plus we always try to plan something for all of us to do together. My sister is out of town on that Disney Cruise that we were supposed to be on. (No, I am not bitter!) She has a great pool, and said that we could play at her casa while she was a way, so that is exactly what we planned on doing.

We invited Justin & Karyn and their kids Kent, Mallory, & Eldon along. We had a BBQ and swam to our hearts content. The kids had alot of fun, and it was a nice relaxing day. Afterwards we headed home, and put the kids to bed. They were tuckered out from being in the sun!

My mind was very contemplative today from various things and somewhat subtle things I observed. On the way to my sisters we hit a red light, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a man and two little children making their way across the street to the corner of this busy intersection. In his hand he had a bouquet of flowers, and they stopped at this little white cross that was already surrounded with flowers new and old. For a moment, I was lost in the thought of the circumstances that brought this little family there. Who was this for, and what happened to this person. Whenever I see crosses on the roadside, my heart aches for the family. I wonder how hard it must have been when they were contacted. Or if they were there the day of the accident, and survived. I imagine how hard it is for them to drive by, and see the constant reminder. So on this day, while waiting at this stoplight, I stared at this family surrounding this little white cross, and mourned the loss, and pain that I can only imagine that they were/are feeling.

Later that night, after the kids were in bed. Shawn and I sat down to watch Broken Bridges. I hadn't really heard much about the show, but we like country...and this was made by CMT. I figured if anything it would have good music (Which it does! The song Broken sung by Lindsay Haun is remarkable!). The show was pretty good...not the best, but it was the best way to end Memorial Day. It was based on a small little town that lost 5 soldiers to a training accident. The main character, Kelly Preston, had been estranged from her family for years, and finally came home for the funeral...and in the process, found herself again. Here is the music video of Broken...definately worth the watch!

There was a part in the movie where the mother was going through her son's things. I was again lost in thought about the pain that so many have to bear. I am so thankful for the brave people that have the courage to defend our country. I honestly don't think that I would be able to do it! I am a coward! I admire all those mothers, wives, and families that are part of the military. They too are braver than I could imagine. We truly are blessed by these soldiers. Our lives are what they are because of their sacrifice to defend our country. I will be forever thankful.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

2 people know I LOVE comments!:

Anonymous said...

amen, sister! you said it well. kathleen :)

Katie said...

I loved your post. A lot of those same thoughts have gone through my head too. I love the video. I want to see that movie now. I had never heard of it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails