Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Training Days

Today one of my friends graduated from Flight Attendant Training! She asked if I would come to her graduation and present her with her wings. I thought it was really nice that she thought to ask me. Graduation is in another state so in order to go I would need practically the whole day. At first I debated because I didn't know if I wanted to spend the whole day flying there and back. Then I decided it would be kinda nice to have the day to myself. I would be able to get some reading done on the plane, and have uniterrupted 'me' time. I arranged to have my brother watch the kids, and I was off.

The flight over was nice. I got in a little nap, and was able to do some reading too. I haven't 'sat' to read a book in a while. I usually do my reading while I am working out on a machine at the gym. There were others on the flight that were going to graduation too. We all chatted a bit, and that passed some time. Before I knew it we were at our destination. We all got on a shuttle that took us to company HDQ.

It was great to see Kristin. I think that she was really happy, and I can only imagine how thankful she was to have this all over with. There were a few company officials that gave some motivationl speeches, and then I was able to give Kristin her wings. There were 4 other people that were from my training class there, too! I hadn't seen them since our graduation almost 7 years ago! Then on my flight home, the flight attendant working the flight was also from my class! I had a great time catching up with Elisa. It is amazing how much time has flown.

As I look back on my days in training...I can only say that I am glad that part is over! I went through training when I had only been married for 4 months. We celebrated our 5 month anniversary while I was there. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my entire life. Up until training, Shawn and I had never gone a day without seeing each other, and then I had to be gone for 5 weeks!

The training itself wasn't too bad. I am a pretty good student. I tend to remember things easily, and so I didn't have a very hard time learning the things that I needed to. I met so many wonderful people while there, but I was so glad when it was all over. I really had to sacrifice alot when I decided that I wanted to become a flight attendant. Being away from Shawn was very hard. He struggled with it alot, and so did I. I missed my two best friends getting married to each other! Then when training was over, I learned that I would be based in another state! I shed many tears while I was there. I questioned whether or not I made the right decision. Was it worth everything that I missed out on. I kept pushing through because in my heart I knew that once I got past all this hard stuff I would be thankful for the decision.

I really enjoy my job. I love the variety that it brings. I love meeting new people, and going to new places. And you just can't beat the flexibility. The flexibility is what made me want to become a flight attendant in the first place. I knew that once I had children, I didn't really want to work much. I want to be home with my kids, and as crazy as it sounds...this was the job to have. I bid a full schedule every single month. I then trade, and give away my trips in order to stay home. When my children get older I will still have a great job that I can work as much or little as I like.

So far, I have been very fortunate. I have been blessed to spend the majority of my days with my kids. I work turns (trips that go out and come back within the same day), and have only been on one overnight since Caden was born (that is 3 1/2 years!) Since I am no longer nursing, I am actually thinking about going on a two day here and there just to get a break from the kids. I think it would be a little refreshing to have a night all to myself. I feel so lucky to be able to have such a great job.

I hope to be able to keep my job indefinately. As crazy as it sounds, I think it is one of the best jobs that a mom could have. Where else can you continue to get raises, attain seniority, but don't have to work very much. It is a great thing to fall back on if anything were to happen to Shawn's job. All I have to do is hop on the computer and pick up a trip. It really is a blessing, and I am glad to say that I am so thankful that I am a flight attendant.

Stumble Upon Toolbar add to kirtsy

3 people know I LOVE comments!:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Being a flight attendant was yet another thing I wanted to pursue :) !! I am glad it has worked out so well for you.

Phae-Jae said...

Great list! It was fun getting to know you better. I'm with you on the Grease thing, I watched it twice a day, everyday, one summer. Now I watch it and wonder why I never picked up on what was really happening! LOL

Anonymous said...

hi cystal: that was so nice of you to fly over and back to be the one to put wings on your friend. what a good friend she has in you.

you sound grateful. good for you.
blessings, kathleen :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails